PDA

View Full Version : New Articles

More Power
01-02-2012, 17:45
Battery Service
Power Starts Here
Own a vehicle long enough and you'll eventually have to replace the batteries. All GM 6.2/6.5/6.6 diesels came from the factory with two hi-capacity automotive batteries, wired in parallel to double the amperage capacity. This higher capacity is necessary because the 6.2/6.5/6.6 glow plug system and intake pre-heater used in the Duramax put a big load on the batteries during a cold start. And, these diesels are high compression ignition engines that require more power to crank. The combustion heat generated during the compression stroke is what ignites the diesel fuel, and a faster cranking speed increases the heat. Knowing this, it's no surprise that diesels start easier with a faster cranking speed. Let's have a look at the choices we diesel owners need to consider when buying a replacement set of batteries and look at how to prolong the life of the batteries we already own.

Engine Machinist Tools
Getting the Proper Fit
I've not recommended most owners get involved with doing their own bearing/piston fitting because of the KSAs (Knowledge, Skill & Abilities) and tools necessary to do it correctly. I still don't know whether it's a good idea for most of us (yes, I'm including myself in this category), but our current 6.5TD project may change that opinion. However, because the current 6.5L Turbo project requires me to fit both bearings and pistons, this may provide an excellent opportunity to dig deeper into the subject, and it'll allow learning something new that The Diesel Page has not covered before. Whether you do the work yourself or you're an involved sort of person who wants to check the work of your local machine shop, the information presented in this series will help you sleep better.

Now available to subscribers in the Member's Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm#features).