PDA

View Full Version : Help. No Start

1Ton
01-03-2012, 11:43
Hello,
Hard to believe that this is my first post. I have been a member for awhile and usually find what I need in this incredible amount of information on the site.

So here is my issue. Upgraded to a 97+ cooling system and a DSG Gear Drive. Placed the Injection Pump back to the same location that I marked before the tear down. It fired up and ran great. Drove it off and on over a few weeks while waiting for my Software/Cable from Engh Motors. Started running worse and worse as the weeks went on. Finally threw a Stepper motor fault/ Cylinder balance fault. Finally received my Software/Cable and plugged it in. Cleared the codes and waited for the Coolant to come up to 180 degrees. It was about 170 degrees as I started playing around with software and clicked on the TDC Learn button by mistake. It went through the process and then the engine just stopped. Now I am getting the TDC Offset Error.

I have rotated the Injection Pump 1mm at a time to the drivers side with no success. Starting at my original spot. I also went 1mm to the passenger side but it didn't sound right.

The batteries were completely drained because of a seat heater being left on. Previous owner wired it to constant. (fix later) Fully charged them and took them to Autozone for a load test. They passed.

I have verified fuel to the Injection Pump. The Tank is full and the Lift Pump is functioning.

Something that is suspect to me is I put a Multi Meter across the two wires from the truck that go to the shut off solinoid and it showed 9.5 volts while cranking. Shouldn't that be 12V??

DTC-88 is the only code it is throwing at this time.

What am I missing?

1Ton
01-03-2012, 21:23
After submitting my first post I found an interesting post about someone who had a sheared Cam Key(woodruff key).
Went home and watched the injection pump gear through the oil inlet and it was not moving when the motor was turned over.
Mystery solved.
Now the noise that didn't sound right when I turned the pump 1mm to the passenger side has me worried. Maybe the Key bouncing around in there? I guess when I tear the front off the motor I will find out.

DmaxMaverick
01-03-2012, 21:28
Check your balancer/pulley (isolator rubber). The key sheared for a reason, and they are the usual suspects. Don't crank it anymore until fixed. You risk damaging the crank.

1Ton
01-03-2012, 21:39
It was a new AC Delco Pulley and Balancer. I did notice that the Balancer went on really easy. Like by hand. No rocking side to side but you could turn it just a little back and fourth.

Didn't move when the bolt was torqued.

Could that be the problem?

DmaxMaverick
01-03-2012, 22:18
Tough call, and hard to say. The balancers go on snug (normally), but I've never seen one that could be pushed on or rotated by hand. Either way, proper crank bolt torque should have handled it if it was close with no lateral movement. Mic the crank, and the balancer. Maybe you got a loose balancer, or a bad crank.

1Ton
01-04-2012, 11:28
Good idea. Looks like this will be a busy weekend.

Thanks for your input DmaxMaverick.

1Ton
06-01-2012, 13:16
Wow it has been a long time since I started this thread. Funny how life gets in the way of projects sometimes.
Well this turned out NOT to be a sheared Cam Key (Woodruff Key).

This was an idiot move by my self. I had put in a Gear Drive about 3 months earlier and for whatever reason the Cam Bolt backed it's way out. Did I not torque it properly or not at all?? Who knows. :mad:

So the bolt worked it's way loose and started to bore a hole through the timing cover. Actually cut a piece of aluminum out of the cover that looked like a Cam Key (Woodruff Key). You will see it in the photos. The Cam started to walk it's way backwards and allowed the end gear to slide off the end of the Cam and round off the Key. At the same time it pushed out the Cam Plug on the back of the engine. That was the noise that I heard when cranking the engine. The Cam plug bouncing around behind the Flexplate.

I ended up pulling the motor to deal with this issue. It was so much easier this way. The motor came out and went in with little or no trouble. I did make a few upgrades while it was out.

Diamond Eye Exhaust
PMDCable braided stainless oil cooler lines
High Volume Oil Pump
Group 34 Optima Red Top batteries (Top Post)
Custom 1/0 Battery Cables
Custom 2/0 Starter Cable
5KW AC Delco Starter
High Idle Switch
Manual Override Glow Plug Switch
Bosch Duraterm Glow Plugs
Added More Grounds
Repaired some burnt wiring
Set TDCO to -1.94
Poly Engine Mount Bushings

Sorry that some photos are blurry. Smartphone is not that smart or maybe it's the user. :)

Photo Link
https://plus.google.com/photos/110840339841460228273/albums/5749162762997668129?authkey=COat55b6t7yleA