PDA

View Full Version : Most common 6.5TD Application, vehicle.

john8662
01-06-2012, 22:31
So,

I had a very rude awakening Monday this week. The awakening is how quickly you can lose something you really like or have put hours and tons of $ into over the years.

My 1995 Suburban that has tons of upgrades, and an engine that's 10k worth of parts and labor is now wrecked.

This was my nicest rig, so I probably shouldn't have been driving it every day. Anyways, kid pulled out in front of me, Bang, couldn't avoid or stop fast enough, although I tried and slowed it down enough to not kill the little focker. Next time I won't try, I'll read about him in the obits, because either way I get a totaled truck.

I walked right out of the burb from what felt more like hitting a curb than anything else. Totaled the POS 2007 model Pontiac Car, lol.

So, I need a truck that's common as heck that if this happens again I'll just find another. I've always been into hard to find unique ones. Like Extended cab short beds, or 6.2's in single cab shorty's, etc.

I liked the 1993 6.5TD C3500 Extended cab Dually, firm ride, handled better than any 1/2 or 3/4 ton empty (dual rear wheels part), and seem to be pretty common.

It's gotta be a 6.5TD due to being newer and more of 'em out there.

thoughts?

John

bobt
01-06-2012, 23:03
I loved my 1993 6.5TD C3500 Extended cab Dually but I sold it two years ago after buying the 2009. Easy to work on, mechanical fuel injection (no FSD). 4L80E is great tranny. It does need the '97 cooling upgrades to be reliable if you are going to tow or carry weight. I know from overheating mine several times and lost the engine on a trip. If you find one in good shape and are willing to do the upgrades, I think you will like it.
Bob

joed
01-07-2012, 09:38
At least here in CO, the most common 6.5 is an extended cab long bed 3/4 ton (HD-8600GVWR), and 4wd.

Particularly 94 and 95s, it seems. 2wds are pretty hard to find, here at least.

I will say my 96 2wd LB 3/4 was the best all around driving of the three 6.5s I've had.

Joe.

john8662
01-07-2012, 09:56
Yeah, you're probably right, extended cab long bed configuration being most common.

I found a 2-fer deal here in town, Two 93 Extended cab Duallys, one runs one doesn't. Tempted to make an offer and plan on making one a daily driver with some resonable rear end gears (kill the 4.10 and install 3.42 or 3.73) so I can have something that resembles fuel economy.

This way if something happens, I have a spare.

J

Yukon6.2
01-07-2012, 11:00
Hi
Not to add insult to injury,got any pic's?The reasone i ask is the burb repairable?I always hate to see a repairable ride scraped.Can a complete front clip fix it?Is the frame damaged? I straightened a frame on a 2000 Tahoe,had 5000 miles on it.Rearended a moving semi,insurance wrote it off.I got it cheep,i blocked the frame and straighteened it with my backhoe.New clip and alignment,sold it 4 yrs ago,still a local truck and the frame is still straight.
It's hard to replace a Burb if you like them.
Thomas

More Power
01-09-2012, 14:52
Sorry to hear of your loss....

There's a 1997 diesel Burb here for what sounds like a great price:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/classad.htm

DennisG01
01-09-2012, 16:09
John, sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, I can completely relate. I'll offer this little story as maybe some "food for thought".

Last summer the same thing happened to my wife, except she was in our '97 528. Car was totaled. I have a very good relation with a local used car/repair lot. The owner bought the car back from the insurance company (very cheap), then fixed the car and sold it back to me. In the end, I paid about $500 over what the other guys insurance company gave us, but I also got some new parts (including 4 tires) along with it.

Oh, by the way, you don't need to accept the first dollar amount that the insurance company offers you. Do your homework. You should also get the amount of sales tax that would be paid on the settlement amount (you'll "have" to buy a new car and you don't need to bear that amount). Also, many of the "fees" that go along with buying a car should be given to you.

Robyn
01-09-2012, 16:48
Watch the craigs list ads up here in Oregon

Most any type/style can be found at good prices. No salt either :)

Missy