PDA

View Full Version : Alt pulley out of alignment

Flingarrows
01-10-2012, 19:17
I just put a resealed and bearinged late 80's 6.2 in my M715. Some where along the lines I must have gotten a mis-matched set of pulleys.

The crank and the water pump pulleys line up, but the alternator pulley appears to be 1/4-3/8 back. I had a 2 groove pulley on the water pump, and switched to a 3 groove, and it looks to be the same alignment.

I could modify the alt bracket, but would rather get the correct pulleys, or the correct alternator, if that is my prob.

Is there a reference of pulley part numbers that go together, or simple description?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/flingarrows/IMG00018-20120110-1232.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/flingarrows/6-2in715.jpg

Robyn
01-11-2012, 07:33
I would say to scare up a "MATCHED" set of pulleys that came off another 6.2 and had run as a set.

When you start mixing and matching pulleys from different applications you can end up with problems.

I am not sure on the military stuff, but most civvy 6.2 stuff will mix and match, but the brackets can possibly be different on the MIL stuff.

Try to stay with the civvy stuff all the way or MIL stuff all the way and you should be able to come up with a workable combination.

Good luck

Robyn

Flingarrows
01-11-2012, 17:00
Thanks Robyn. I'm pretty sure that I have all civvy. I went through pulling blocks from 2 trucks, found cracked mains, and got a 3rd block from my buddy, that was good. I will see if I can find a set on a running (or previously running) 6.2.

Is there any chance that the alternator itself is shorter? It doesnt look like there is enough thread on the shaft to have a pulley further out, unless is had some sort of back spacing on the pulley

Flingarrows
01-24-2012, 19:20
Can anyone confirm if the bottom bolt of the 1st picture, is supposed to bolt to the head or the block? My buddy says that it goes to the block, but I almost looks like it will push the bottom out too far forward. I am not near the truck to look at it. Thanks for any replies!