PDA

View Full Version : NAPA 190 Thermostats - Questions of course

MTTwister
09-12-2004, 15:36
I picked up 2 NAPA full flow 190

WhiteGMC
09-12-2004, 16:54
MTTWISTER,
Felpro makes a gasket to go between the plate and the engine...

Jerry

dieselrealtor
09-12-2004, 18:12
I replaced my 190 factory tstats a couple of weeks ago with Robert Shaws I bought from JK.

The factory stats had the "rubber jackets", I created a post asking about the jackets, no one that knew made a reply.

I re-used the rubber gaskets from the old stats & life is good, no runs, no leaks, no errors.

Spindrift
09-13-2004, 04:34
MTT,

I changed out using the same stats and removed the black blankets when I installed the new ones. Go to HowieE's home page. The pictures of the stats jammed with the blankets are showing what came out of my truck. I purchased the O rings separately. Didn't use any sealant and so far; no runs, drips or errors.

jdmetcalf57
09-13-2004, 17:01
Take those NAPA thermostats back if you can and get your money back. If you can't take them out and pitch them. I installed Napa thermostats and it greatly contributed to my over heating problem during a trip to the Colorado mountains. I had to take them out on the road. I probably should have put the Robert Shaw ones back in but I went to the GM dealer and put stock ones in. If you compare the two you will see that the GM parts have a much higher flow capacity. These engines have enough of a cooling problem that they don't need anymore restrictions. Somewhere on this site are pictures of the difference but I don't know where.

moedog
09-24-2004, 19:43
TAKE EM BACK AND GET ROBERTSHAW 180THERMOS.

MTTwister
09-25-2004, 08:15
moedog -etc - I have some RS 195's on order.. It's been cold rainy and snowy for the last 2 weeks, so fortunately I haven't had the opprotunity to work on the outfit yet. Now it's nice again, and other chores will blow this weekend. That's ok - waiting on the RS's.

Thanks for the input.

markrinker
09-25-2004, 08:41
My ongoing experiment running truck #1 without a thermostat at all continues...I started this last summer as a temporary band-aid, and soon decided to leave the thermostat out completely after enjoying the coolest (160-170 average) loaded operating temps I had ever seen with that truck.

This morning was a chilly 43 degrees. Ran the truck around town loaded and unloaded, still had reasonable water temps of 140-160 and the heater worked fine.

We'll see what happens when it gets to -20. Probably have to toss one back in at that point, but it will be the stock appearing original that came out, not something spendy.