PDA

View Full Version : 240D or SD33 conversion to an '81 AMC SX4

NIIX
01-14-2012, 11:38
Howdy all. Here's my first posting... and I think this is the thread to post in, if not help re-direct me.

I have a 1981 Amc Eagle SX4 (all time 4WD 4speed manual) that currently has a 151 cuin. "Iron Duke" that is on it's last leg.

I was considering swapping and improving the powerplant, and figured that if I was gonna swap motors, I might as well go for the gusto and switch to diesel.

I'm not concerned about rooster-tailing it all over the place... so non-turbo is an option. I currently drive a naturally aspireated diesel, and enjoy the power, economy and reliability of diesel. I would also like to start learning about performance maintenence and SVO adaptation... which brings me to....

What, in your opinion would be the better engine to put into the SX4? I am looking at a 1983 240D with a manual tranny attached, OR a Nissian SD33 from a Scout II. I have narrowed the field down to these two. I have thought about a 4BT (I'm not wanting to do an SAS, and I think it's too heavy for the SX4) but think these two options suit the weight and power set-up for the SX4.

But , before committing the $$ and time to this kinda conversion, I figgured I'd ask the dirtyhands in the field.

Questions:

1. Anyone know where I can find detailed specs for the SD33 and the 240D power and drivetrain setups? I've done the wiki-search, and googled them, but I'd rather get some factory numbers so I can sketch this all out on paper before making multiple trips to the boneyard.

2. Anyone have experience with either of these motors in a swap? If so, what are some of the gremlins that they carry with them?

3.What are some options for bellhousing compatability and transfer cases (divorced or otherwise)?

4. ...continueing with bellhousing... can anyone run me through the process of making an adapter/spacer from engine to transmission? (ie: pattern tips, material, material thickness, etc...)

5. Thoughts on running gear... Should I just swap the new motor's gear and adapt it to fit the AMC or try to keep the gear and adapt the motor? I don't wanna blow-out the rear (maybe a dana 44 in back if I keep the AMC gear) or is there something I'm not taking into consideration?

I have a shop, I have the tools, and being self-employed I can make the time. This will be my first conversion, although, I have rebuilt motors and vehicles before.

Basically, I'm open to comments and criticisim before starting this project. I know it's not gonna be an easy "plug and play" operation, but I'd like a checklist and order of operations outline to work from.

Thanks all!

JeepSJ
01-16-2012, 16:17
A buddy had the SD33 in his CJ7. He hated it. Ended up swapping to a 4bt. I've heard a lot of chatter on the Jeep forums about Mercedes engines but no real work or info on getting one into a Jeep (or any other AMC chassis).

jamesm
01-16-2012, 18:01
151 cu in works out to ~2.5 liters by my math. I would guess the 2.4 MB engine you're looking at, which is all iron, will be quite a bit heavier.

You might also look at a 601 engine from a 190 car; they were available in turbo and NA versions. The 601 is still armageddon ready (will happily run with zero point zero percent electricity). It's also a later generation engine, much more civilized than the 612. My car has the six-cylinder version of the 601 (500 cc per hole; four holes = 601 = 2.0 L; five holes = 602 = 2.5 L; six holes = 603 = 3.0 L). If it's a turbo, you just add an "A" after the engine number. Hence "OM602A" equals "Ol (oil=diesel) Motor", 2.5 liter five cylinder, with turbo).

Sounds like a fun little "hot hatch" project.

HH
01-30-2012, 11:19
For that size car, I'd look a the VW engines.

I have an SD33 which I considered for a CJ and my ZJ, but decided not to use it because of parts availability. More info can be found on the IH scout sites. Specs are here http://ihdiesel.com/archive/sd33t.html, and some info on this Scout Site (http://dieselscout.ning.com/).

The easy part is getting it mounted, the hard part is getting everything to work, such as running the fuel lines, making brackets, running any electrical, etc.