PDA

View Full Version : 1993 6.5 turbo glow plugs and injectors

jjmoore
01-17-2012, 12:16
1993 glow plugs and injectors . do I need to take off the turbo and exhaust manifold to remove the injectors and glow plugs? also I tested glow plugs with an ohm meter in the truck at .7 ohms to ground . is that ok they were all the same. when I was testing glow plugs, I used a DC clamp on amp meter . each glow plug draws about 15 amps is that ok? what are the specs?

rustyk
01-17-2012, 17:49
I have more room on my diesel pusher than on trucks, but the glow plugs were easy, although I did have to remove the turbo drain hose.

It sounds like your plugs are OK - BTW, each draws 1.5, not 15A.

Never had to mess with the injectors.

DennisG01
01-17-2012, 18:50
Rusty - are you sure? 15amps sounds right to me?

I've usually seen the range for a good plug starting at .8 ohms. Can't imagine that .7 would make much of a difference, though. Try this - take a few out and bench test them with jumper cables. Make sure they're all glowing cherry red in about the same amount of time. Like Rusty said, it sounds like they're good - this would just be a "double check" thing.

No - turbo does not have to come out. But, removing wheel and splash guard will help. The last one can be gotten to from underneath the engine.

DmaxMaverick
01-17-2012, 19:21
15 amps each is about right for individuals at 12V. Usually, if they show continuity to ground, they're good. The entire circuit draws 100+ amps when engaged, relay included.

You can do the injectors and plugs through the wheel opening. Remove the wheel splash skirt. The rear/passenger side will require removing the turbo heat shield. It's tight, but will work. It helps to have a real injector socket, though.

JetBoater
01-19-2012, 14:13
I had an issue with no-start in sub-zero°C this year.

I was being lazy and simply used a test light with the negative to ground and the tip of light on the ground side of glow plug. If the glowplug was good, the test light glowed bright during start cycle. If it doesn't light up, the GP is bad... try it!

This works fine when your in a hurry and just want to change out the faulty plugs... in my case it was the 3 out of six I could get to easily.

I should have been more in tune with the longer starting, over many months leading up to this... I didn't do the 2 plugs hidden behind the turbo down pipe... still starts fine for me! Autolight plugs didn't last long for me, but the dealership was 4x the cost so I went with them again.

Kennedy
01-19-2012, 14:48
Your plugs sound "functional" but no telling how good they are. When testing I use a test light from B+ to teh glow plug tabs one at a time. Checking for open circuit. From there is you want to improve starting performance try a set of our Quick Heat plugs and look up the 85-93 glow plug controller mod article to get a longer cycle.

phantom309
01-19-2012, 15:40
living here in the rust belt sucks,. the drivers side plug connections are now one with the plugs,.they are going to break off i just know it,..and i,m sure 2 aren't working,.

Nick