PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever wish your truck gone!

HudB1
01-30-2004, 09:07
When it runs good its great but when it acts up you wish you could come out from the store or where ever and it would be gone.
Why can't anything be simple with these trucks?
Oh Well just venting, I feel your pain.
HudB1
oh yeah,96 K3500,6.5 f code

[ 01-30-2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: HudB1 ]

Kollin Syverson
01-30-2004, 09:58
Not for one minute. I almost made the mistake of buying a new one, untill I drove one. They don't make them like they used to. I plan I driving mine till the wheels fall off.

markrinker
01-30-2004, 10:49
...I have heard that in most large cities that can be easily arranged by leaving it running at the pump in the wrong part of town!

Seriously, I have owned a few cars and trucks that gave me that sort of grief. (For the last years of owning a 1991 Ford Aerostar, I left it unlocked with the keys in it, running, wherever I went. Unfortunatley, it was always there when I came back, idling away and dripping various fluids...)

Hope your luck turns...keep wrenching!

turbovair
01-30-2004, 11:23
I put 6.5 turbodiesel decals on the hood, and nobody has ever tried to steal mine.Used to drive Corvairs, and could leave them unlocked, windows down, ANYWHERE and never had one stolen.That was kinda nice.I like driving a vehicle nobody wants.Its peace of mind.

cruzer
01-30-2004, 13:27
Thought about it when the motor went, but I had couldn't come to grips w/the money I would get for the truck w/no motor. Went to the Dodge dealer
got some prices, then I could come to grips w/the $ to rebuild w/more power and cooling. Now it looks like that was a great decision. Sure glad I had mech inj don't know if I could deal w/electronic inj. My hats off to you all.

gmctd
01-30-2004, 13:53
I thought this was about a new country hit from Red Sovine, the singing trucker! ;)

But, no.

Seriously!

No.

Barry Nave
01-30-2004, 14:47
Thanks to this page
All it take is to learn, our truck's run's,drives and rides like no for- nor dodg-
If I have a problem I will take it and try my best to fix it. I love it :D
If not I'll ask ;)

Barry Nave
01-30-2004, 14:48
BTW NO smile.gif

Kidd
01-30-2004, 18:00
Nope, this has been a good truck, 139,000 on odometer, all I have ever changed is glow plugs and filters. Mind you, I did go price out a new
D-Max, that cured me permanently! :D
K.D.

96GMC6.5TDSubOwner
01-31-2004, 15:18
Come visit NJ & leave your keys in it...be gone in a flash! After the most recent hair-raising hwy stall, my wife is pushing me to get rid of it. She wants to trade my Sub & her new Saturn in just to get a reliable car...but I like my tempermental Sub. With just 3K on the new IP, PMD stalling problems are slowly returning. I'm simply amazed that some gov agency has made GM recall all the 6.5's out there as unsafe vehicles. A Bosch replacement IP would certainly address the problem.

rjschoolcraft
01-31-2004, 15:54
Nope! Love mine! :cool:

patrick m.
01-31-2004, 16:45
I cant imagine getting rid of mine!

chickenhunterbob
01-31-2004, 18:52
Alhough I sense your frustration, and am sympathetic, in a word, (for me) No. There are probably an equal number divided on this on any given (bad) day.

And not because my current truck is a GM, or because it is a diesel. So far the truck which causes me to be a member of TDP is a GM diesel, and has been good to me, I have changed a few worn parts, fixed a few leaks, but nothing of major concern.

I am a realist, and for the past 25 years have driven only used vehicles. No such thing as warranty, and all were at least half worn out.

But I knew that when I bought them, you roll the dice... and the price reflects it, you have to be prepared to work on it a bit to keep it running.

A truck of he age and with as many miles as most on this page will require some wrenching, this is a fact of life, and in my view this can be done much cheaper by the owner than by a garage, there is sufficient support on this page (articles, troubleshooting guide, and in this chat section) that make owner maintaining a real possibility.

If you drive an older half worn out vehicle, no matter what make, you gotta be prepared to do some fixin, they do break. I'd hate like heck to spend a day and a half fixin' and come out from the store to find it gone ;)

DAVE FERENCZ
02-02-2004, 13:21
I have had my 97 burb now for 40 months. That has worked out to be about 952.00 per month less whatever I can sell it for. Thats Canadian $. This thing is retarded. GM sucks as soon as I loose one kid I,m buying a Toyota Sequoia.

gwaidman
02-02-2004, 21:30
Love my rig! Here is some food for thought... I paid $9600 bucks Canadian for my truck. I put a few green backs into it here and there, and she treats me pretty good. I put the money I could have spent on a new rig towards my motorbikes, boat, skidoo's and take a few unpaid days off work to enjoy them all! I would take all of my motorized toys and a little grief now and then over a $50,000.00 new truck any day. Math was never my favorite subject, but for me, it is an easy choice. I know I'm not alone here.

DAVE FERENCZ
02-03-2004, 09:26
Just got my truck back again.Front brakes. Needed new bearing. Did you guys know the bearing has an ABS sensor in it GM wants $1100.00 for it and you have to buy it in pairs. I got it from Napa one only for $600. Once again those GM guys need to think like a *** .

DAVE FERENCZ
02-03-2004, 09:28
Why was that bleeped? THink like a Japanese engineer. :rolleyes:

rjschoolcraft
02-03-2004, 10:17
You can have your Japanese stuff. That will leave more real vehicles for the rest of us to drive. ;)

BTW, the Japanese don't build a REAL truck. I'd drive a Ford before I drove a Toyota. Further, I'd push a Chevy before I'd drive a Ford. Wow. I'm over the top. :D

gmctd
02-04-2004, 04:40
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is second largest manufacturer of turbocharged trucks in the world.
First is Isuzu Heavy Industries, of which fame the Borg Warner contracted IHI GM-8 is notable.
Not to mention the D-Maxx 6.6 engines.
Following, in no particular order, are Nissan, Volvo, Benz, Daimler, etc.

But, I do agree - I'd rather drive my GM than Toyota or Nissan.
And I won't even mention that my Nissan 4wd King Cab got a carb'ed Chevy 2.8L V6, and later, in '94, a new PFI Buick 3.8L.
Small utility and smooth ride of Nissan ifs, reliability and functionality of GM.

Did I mention I like my GM 6.5L truck? smile.gif

[ 02-04-2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

LanceW
02-04-2004, 09:27
Yesterday, I went and got our trailer out of a field covered by about 5" of snow with my 2wd dually... have no idea how I made it without getting buried, other than God must have some plan for me that will suck twice as bad.

I was wishing for a 4wd then, but other than that I wouldn't trade mine for anything right now.

Will be turning over 200,000 miles somewhere between here and VA Beach on Friday. Unless I hit the lotto, I plan to keep it until 300k.

rjschoolcraft
02-04-2004, 15:48
FWIW, I was referring to pickup trucks, not medium or heavy duty trucks. You see all kinds of strange tractor-trailer rigs in Europe (Mercedes, Volvo, etc.), but even they don't match up to the big trucks from this country. Yes, the Duramax is engineered by Isuzu (I'm not overjoyed about that), with contributions from GM. It is built here, though, and the GM input has Americanized the design. It is very different from other engines they've done (to my limited knowledge, anyway).

My primary reference is to the Toyota and Nissan "full size" pickups that are advertised these days. They're nowhere close to the work capability of American trucks. They don't offer anything bigger than a half ton either.

On the one hand, I welcome the competition. But on the other hand, GM and the others didn't step up to the competition well in 70's. They're doing much better now, but could still run them out of the country if they just got serious about building the finest products in the world.

I won't own anything with a Japanese (or other foreign) nameplate. Oh well, my rant is over. ;)