PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 actuator not engaging

fastcat800
01-24-2012, 00:43
I have a '94 1500 with the 4L80E tranny. I had it rebuilt 3 weeks ago and tried the 4 wheel drive yesterday for the first time when we got some snow. It does not engage. It has the stepper motor actuator upgrade installed for about 6 years now and has always worked great, even when shifting into 4 wheel on the fly. The transfer case is shifting and locks the driveshaft up. Checked the 4 wheel drive 25 amp fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and still no power to the actuator. Checked at the transfer case connector and no power to any of the wires there either. Rechecked the fuse and it was fine. Called the guy who rebuilt the tranny and he said the four wheel worked when he test drove it (the light has never worked in the 7 years I have owned the truck). I am guessing he is not telling the truth as I know his buddy who is the one who pulled and reinstalled the tranny told me he test drove the truck when I picked it up. Anyway I think maybe during installation something got disconnected or wires got cut. Guess you get what you pay for. It was very cheep at $1100 so I guess I can spend some of my time on it as these guys have washed their hands of it. I need some ideas of where and what to look for. What could have blown the fuse and why didn't it blow again if the problem is still there? Where does the power come from that goes to the transfer case? Is there a second fuse somewhere that could be blown? Any ideas of what to look for would be very helpful.

Robyn
01-24-2012, 17:03
Check to see if your getting power to the stepper motor.

The motor may be bad.

If you want to be shed of this crap, install a Posi Lock kit.

Its a push pull cable that mounts under the dash and has a linkage that replaces the motor.

Best thing you can do. Just push the handle in and sort of like locking the hubs.

I have had both the thermal actuators and the steppers and they both SUCK

The cable unit works great and is simple, and it stays locked in when you turn the key off too.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/

Here is the link to their site

Missy

fastcat800
01-25-2012, 11:11
Check to see if your getting power to the stepper motor.

The motor may be bad.

If you want to be shed of this crap, install a Posi Lock kit.

Its a push pull cable that mounts under the dash and has a linkage that replaces the motor.

Best thing you can do. Just push the handle in and sort of like locking the hubs.

I have had both the thermal actuators and the steppers and they both SUCK

The cable unit works great and is simple, and it stays locked in when you turn the key off too.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/

Here is the link to their site

Missy

Thanks for the tip on the posi-lok. I am hoping to not have to spend another $180 to get my 4 wheel drive to work. I know that will solve the problem permanently but I would like to figure out why I have no power at the transfer case and the fuse is good. The only thing in line between the 4WD fuse and transfer case switch on the wiring diagram is square with 350 inside it and wht outside the box and it is inside the convenience center. Any idea what that is?

fastcat800
01-26-2012, 13:22
I found the problem. The replacement fuse was scuzzy on the terminals and once I put in a new fuse it works fine. No wonder I had no power at the transfer case! I just wish I knew what made the 25 amp fuse blow in the first place.