PDA

View Full Version : Bearing noise or not

duramax1
01-29-2012, 12:15
I had what I thought was a front right bearing noise as my 2003 Sierra 2500hd had a typical bearing noise which went away when turning right. I replaced the right front bearing and inspected the brakes which I replaced a short time ago. I test drove the truck afterwards and the noise is still there and continues to go away when I turn to the right. I replaced the front diff fluid a few months ago and I will be changing it again today, could the problem be in the diff or somewhere else?

JohnC
01-29-2012, 15:11
I had the same problem. turned out to be the LEFT wheel bearing. :confused: Could have sworn otherwise, but when I got them off, the left one was obviously bad.

Heartbeat Hauler
01-29-2012, 17:09
Don't overlook the brake parts.

A good way to check to see if your wheel bearings are having a problem is to jack the tire off the ground. Grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and try to move back and forth. Any movement have you have a bad wheel bearing, or it's on it's way out.

Side note, I had a nosie that sounded like wheel bearings. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed wheel bearing problems. They replaced both sides. When I got back on the highway I had the same noise. Took it back to the dealer they then said the front discs needed turning. Still had the same noise. The dealer refunded the cost of labor for both wheel bearings and disc turning. I still had the noise, but a week or so later on a hunch I removed the beauty rings on the wheels....problem solved. I drive a dually so I have the rings, you probably don't have them if you have a 2500. Point is, it could be something you wouldn't suspect. Good luck.

duramax1
01-29-2012, 18:17
I pulled the left side apart and found that the left bearing was in fact the bad one go figure. I replaced the bearing and noise gone thanks for the help

a5150nut
01-29-2012, 18:29
At least now you have a matched set!