PDA

View Full Version : Injector questions

Shed
01-29-2012, 15:35
I know I'm beating a dead horse. My 3rd set needs to go in soon. I know this, I've got all the signs and a mechanic who specializes in the D max told me the balance rates are out of spec. On 3 of the 8. Needless to say I'm frustrated.

If I go with an aftermarket set of injectors that give me a 50hp bump will they eventually fail also? Or will they actually "solve" the injector failure problem. I don't need the extra HP, but I'd take it if it ment not doing 4-5K$ of work every 65,000 miles. I understand all injectors will fail, but 65k is way too soon in my opinion.

While I'm having the injectors done, what else should be done while its torn apart? Fuel lines? Glow plugs? Thermostats? I want it all done now if it remotely needs it. I love this truck and plan to put money in it and keep it. She's only got 124k on her.

I need honest opinions/facts, this is gonna cost me huge and my wife is bound and determined to trade my baby for a new gasser. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Heartbeat Hauler
01-29-2012, 16:45
I know I'm beating a dead horse. My 3rd set needs to go in soon. I know this, I've got all the signs and a mechanic who specializes in the D max told me the balance rates are out of spec. On 3 of the 8. Needless to say I'm frustrated.

If I go with an aftermarket set of injectors that give me a 50hp bump will they eventually fail also? Or will they actually "solve" the injector failure problem. I don't need the extra HP, but I'd take it if it ment not doing 4-5K$ of work every 65,000 miles. I understand all injectors will fail, but 65k is way too soon in my opinion.

While I'm having the injectors done, what else should be done while its torn apart? Fuel lines? Glow plugs? Thermostats? I want it all done now if it remotely needs it. I love this truck and plan to put money in it and keep it. She's only got 124k on her.

I need honest opinions/facts, this is gonna cost me huge and my wife is bound and determined to trade my baby for a new gasser. Thanks everyone for your responses.
The first question I would ask is where are they getting the reman'd injectors? Not all injectors are reman'd properly. The newer injectors have better castings for the injector bodies and the ball seat is chromed to make it more impervious to wear. There are a lot of less than acceptable injectors being offered as replacements. Do your do-diligence.

Also, changing the fuel filter every 10k miles will help keep crud out and use a good additive for lubricity to keep the parts in good working order. Some have suggested that installing a lift pump can help eliminate air in the fuel system which can act like a hammer when going though the fuel pump...I dunno if this is true but it makes sense.

As far as changing other parts along with the injectors, I would suggest changing the fuel lines when doing injectors. These lines can accumulate crud and debris which will wear out the injectors. Make sure your fuel pressure regulator is functioning properly, not getting enough fuel to the injector or supplying it sporadically can also harm the injectors.

Also, I don't think going with the 50hp injectors will save you anything...they are still the same injectors with the same bad design with the spray holes honed out.....less material...not good when you already have wear issues. Good luck.

Mark Rinker
01-29-2012, 20:42
Sorry to hear of your issues. I may have asked this question last set, but here it goes again:

Where are you buying your fuel?

Kennedy
01-30-2012, 09:06

Aftermarket injestors are nothing more than OE injectors with the nozzles modified to deliver more fuel. Spend your money on prevention or fit the definition of insanity...

Shed
01-30-2012, 10:55
Thanks guys, that is what I was wondering.

Just to reply: I change the fuel filter religiously. I use amsoil diesel concentrate in the summer and FPPF? in the winter for anti gel. Always buy my fuel at the truck stop (on I-80) or the Caseys which services 2 city fleets. Never any fuel related problems. Truck had injectors at 64k, and just like clock work, I'm almost to 128k!

I know I gotta get a lift pump.... Stupid me for not doing it before.

Thank you all!

Kennedy
01-30-2012, 16:36
Lift pump, Total Power, Mega filter along with new lines when replacing. About all I got.

High volume truck stop fuel does not guarantee it is clean or good, only fresh. Fresh fuel or fresh crap it's a toss up. I went to my own barrel back in 2005-6 and I sure don't regret it...

Mark Rinker
01-30-2012, 16:44
You are clearly pumping poor quality fuel at one or both of these locations. I would stop buying fuel at either, in favor of a newer and higher volume location.

I personally have put on >350K miles on three LB7s with total miles of >550K (all trucks were purchased used, with their original factory injectors) and had four sets of replaced, all under warranty.

Thats an average of 110K per LB7 injector set, and the trucks were fueled randomly across the US at whatever station presented itself.

I'd also strongly consider keeping the $4K you are about to spend on a downpayment for a low mile used 2006 or newer. Let the same dealership that put in your first set take that one back on trade...for a FAIR trade price because they can make it right at their costs for much less than you AND sell another truck at the same time.