PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm NEW!

emtmark
02-01-2012, 09:11
Just did a straight across trade for my new to me GMC K3500 SRW CC LB, 6.5 TD 4L80E. Ive worked on gassers my whole life super brand new to the diesel scene. Ive lurked about for a few days researching stuff here and on Pirate but if i'm going to learn anything i'm going to have to search and ask questions. I see that cooling and PMD moving is pretty much the name of the game. I don't know what has been done to my engine yet nor am I sure that the claims of "Rebuilt 50k ago" are true. The facts, i have a clattering sound from the right rear top and bottom, the fuel pump on the engine looks brand new "Stamadyne" is on a bright blue name plate, Trans has 1,2,3 no od i can get up to 55 but no faster, light greyish/white smoke on idle with darker puff on throttle, what appears to be motor oil is leaking from the bottom left of radiator, turbo has visible exhaust gasses puff out around it on throttle.
Eng has oe air box, oe exhaust, oe fan. there is a missing bolt near top of water pump as it the gasket and threaded hole is there but the water pume mounted does not have a corresponding bolt hole not broken or missing just not cast in there. Some of the accessories look mickey moused on with nuts as spacers ant the light but the belt runs true to my eye. the outer harmonic balancer(lots of rubber and serp pulley) has cracking that i can make worse by hand, unk condition of inner. Clacking noise is present with and without belt on. Ive never dealt with injection before hesitant to start messing around just yet.
Going to get a book, watch some vids, read alot here. Thank you for the support and help you provide us folks who have to do the work ourself :) i'm in south bay area if anybody wants to saunter by and point out obvious stuff i'm never in the mood to not learn things. Have a great day yall!
mark

emtmark
02-01-2012, 09:23
stuff i forgot, 300000 on the clock, traded a 1980 jimmy with 4 inch bds, 14 bolt rear sm465 and np205, wont lie I cried a bit ive had that truck since i was in high school

a5150nut
02-01-2012, 21:56
Welcome emtmark.

Where abouts in the south bay? Send private message, Im in san jose.

emtmark
02-02-2012, 22:34
i tried lol

crashz
02-03-2012, 10:10
Welcome Mark!

Lots to learn here. Spend some time reading in the 6.5 section and the 6.2/6.5 tech section.

Got any pics of the new ride? Old ride too?

a5150nut
02-05-2012, 21:29
Mark,

check pm's

emtmark
02-05-2012, 22:53
Done! Add text for min count

emtmark
02-06-2012, 01:16
My old trucks name was Susan, this truck is a bit longer so......:D

Robyn
02-06-2012, 09:16
Welcome aboard

Great looking ride.

I am not all that far away from you, just south of Portland Ore.

Almost neighbors eh ?? :D

emtmark
02-06-2012, 09:30
sure are! come on buy and get a giggle as a gasser works on a diesel! Heck its fun for the whole family! I'll cook you lunch and dinner!:D Seriously you give good advice and i've read alot of your postings here. thank you for the work you put in here and else where.
mark
ps seriously stop by if nothing else for the entertainment value!;)

a5150nut
02-06-2012, 19:30
Mark,

Your truck looks like a cripple. It's all proped up on crutches!!

Nice truck!

emtmark
02-06-2012, 23:00
lol first things first, fix what i can. I like to get a good look at everything rather than try to find out on the side of the road:eek: