PDA

View Full Version : truck runs then stalls

96 dually
02-12-2012, 18:08
hello i have 96 6.5l it runs for 10 to 15 min then stalls and i have to wait for a few minutes to restart it cause the wait to start light and the lift pump wont work untill its ready to resart any ideas

jamesm
02-13-2012, 08:02
Sounds like the classic PMD (or FSD, same thing) failure. Where is it mounted, and how old is it?

96 dually
02-13-2012, 11:56
it has a remote pmd already but i replaced it with a good one and still the same thing

jamesm
02-13-2012, 15:42
OK, if you're SURE the PMD is good, then look towards the lift pump and/or relay.

When you first start it (presumably in the 10 minutes of running before fail), how much fuel can you get out of of the water-in-fuel drain hose with the engine idling?

How long since you've changed the muffler bearings?

john8662
02-14-2012, 08:52
Keep in mind it appears his glowplugs and fuel relay won't come on again until something cools off, or makes connection again.

This could be a PCM (Powertrain Control Model) failure as well.

Check your battery connections, also there is a series of ground wires that connect the electronics of the system to ground on the passenger's side rear of the engine. It's directly beside the transmission dipstick on automatic models, or far corner of the top of the cylinder head to the direct rear of the last intake manifold runner.

There should be at least 3 wires there. check to see that these are making good connection and that the nut is snug. It's the same stud and nut that holds the transmission dipstick (again Automatic models).

Do you have any aftermarket electrical stuff on the truck. Alarm? Remote Start? etc?

J

racer55
02-17-2012, 07:50
Play with the ignition switch and see if you can make it stall or stumble with slight manipulation.
Ignition switches tend to burn out the contacts/melt the switch holder for the ECM circuits.

Robyn
02-17-2012, 08:59
As it is a 96, (OBD2) you really need to get a scan tool on the beast and find out whats going on.

Has the SES light come on any time ??

Pull the codes and see what that shows.

The OBD2 system should shed some light on whats going on.

Main power connection is possible as is a failing PCM.

Missy