PDA

View Full Version : smoky 6.6 duramax

lvallati
02-14-2012, 18:58
I have a 03 6.6 duramax and it smokes while idiling at a traffic light not quite a black smoke more grey in colour and it does it periodically. Also there seems to be a popping sound from the muffler almost sounds like a paint can popping when left in the heat.
Any suggestions as to what may be causing it?

Hound
02-15-2012, 19:57
Smoke at idle is usually a sign of injectors going bad. Check your balance rates on them when the truck is at operating temp with the truck in park to get some idea of how they are working. Post the results back here.

Heartbeat Hauler
02-16-2012, 17:44
You will need some type of scanner/tuner to check balance rates, or off to the delaership.

rapidoxidationman
02-16-2012, 18:13
You might also check the oil level in the engine... If it constantly seems to overfill itself, you're looking at an injector problem.

lvallati
02-20-2012, 09:33
Would a OBD II scanner help me out with this problem, will i get a code coming up?
Would a collapsed muffler or cat cause the same problem, i don't think its injectors the smoke is quite white in colour.

thx for the reply

DmaxMaverick
02-20-2012, 11:27
Would a OBD II scanner help me out with this problem, will i get a code coming up?
Would a collapsed muffler or cat cause the same problem, i don't think its injectors the smoke is quite white in colour.

thx for the reply

Almost always, smoke caused by failed injectors is white or gray. Seldom will there be a DTC (code) to help with diagnosis. Keep a close watch on your oil level!

The muffler or cat can cause running issues, and occasional smoke issues, but that's not your current issue. Failed injectors, causing the smoke in your case, will cause elevated exhaust temperatures and an overheated cat. This can, and often does, create heat related noises (popping) in the exhaust system, due to thermal expansion/contraction and excess fuel detonation. The extreme heat and fuel detonation will destroy the cat in a very short period. Driving it in this condition may cause your repair bill to skyrocket.

lvallati
02-20-2012, 12:44
I will surely get it diagnosed thanks for the info.

Kennedy
02-21-2012, 12:04
Being a 2003 in Canada I'd doubt that it has a cat, but I definitely sugest getting the injectors done ASAP. Running with bad injectors does bad things to pistons.

I recommend all 8 injectors with NEW supply lines. Add secondary filtration, lift pump, and quality additive to help prolong the life of your new injectors.