PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for 02' LB7 info.

KenGee333
02-16-2012, 18:51
Hey everyone. I'm a longtime lurker of the site, and decided now that I'm in the market for a diesel, I may as well join up.

I'm a bit of a car enthusiast, but not really knowledgeable when it comes down to it, so I apologize for the repetitive nature of the question (hopefully it's in the right discussion forum as well).

I'm seriously looking at buying an 02' GMC DMAX LB7 Crew Cab short box, with 216,000km's, for $11,000. It was used primarily for towing a 5th wheel, and as of late has been a daily driver. At one time it had an exhaust upgrade, a chip, and a high-idle switch, which have since been removed. He's told me that aside from the injector pump being replaced, there hasn't been any major work done to it (transmission or drivetrain). It's in good condition, with only a few minor repairs needed (door pins, cd player, headlight, dome light).

My questions are, is it worth it? From the reading I've done, everyone says "injectors, injectors, injectors", so with this many kilometres, am I safe to assume that the injectors probably won't fail, or should I be ready for a major overhaul soon? Any other problems I might encounter with an older truck like this? What kind of maintenance or precautions should I undertake right away if I do buy the truck (filters, etc. . .).

Any information regarding anything about the truck would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! Cheers!

DmaxMaverick
02-16-2012, 22:05
Welcome aboard!

At those miles/time, count on injectors in the near future. Consider that in the purchase price. So, that means $14-15K for the truck. Still not a bad deal, if it's nice otherwise. Don't worry about the previous towing duty. That's where they really shine.

DmaxMaverick
02-16-2012, 22:09
Also......

You should consider a full service "normal" for the purchase of ANY used vehicle. Get started on the right foot. The previous owner may have taken good care of it, and serviced it properly, but you can't know that for sure. He's trying to sell a truck.

KenGee333
02-17-2012, 08:18
Thanks Maverick, it's much appreciated! The potential problems have me on edge, wondering if I should just back out and wait for something a little newer (06' maybe?) With less mileage and maybe even new injectors lol. I need something though, so I can't wait forever.

How are the Duramaxes with light towing, or no towing at all? I've always been set on a diesel, and a duramax just seems like the best option, however, I really won't be putting it to its proper use, towing my tiny boat or a couple sleds, tops! Maybe gas is a better option?

With that kind of mileage and age, are the injectors my main concern? Are there other known issues with truck, body, transmission or engine?

Are there any preventative measures to help avoid injector issues? How do you know if the injectors need to be done, just the hazing?

Sorry for all of the questions lol. I've gotta "hop on the wagon" so-to-say, and get as much info from knowledgeable and experienced people before I go jumping into a mess I can't handle lol. Thanks again! Cheers

Mark Rinker
02-18-2012, 05:38
Take time to dig in this forum and read, read, read.

Since its now 2012, I would highly recommend limiting your Duramax search to 2006 or newer.

There are so many improvements to the injectors, intake system, factory fueling tune, and overall reliability that I think you'd be money ahead to own an LBZ.

Again read and decide for yourself. At some price (or low, low miles), even a 2001 could be a good deal. There are no 'BAD' years, or generations of the Duramax to avoid. However the LB7 is prone to injector failure, and replacement is more expensive than later versions due to the 'under valve cover' design of the injectors.

Happy hunting!