PDA

View Full Version : Stock engine braking

tofto
02-24-2012, 15:04
I'm lookingto purchase an LBZ Duramax and was wondering if they also have engine braking fromn the factory or is it only available as an aftermarket add on. Thank you and I'm enjoying the site to help me make my decision on a new to me truck.

DmaxMaverick
02-24-2012, 15:41
Welcome aboard!

None of the LBZ models have/had an OEM installed engine brake on Light Trucks. Aftermarket option only. Some dealers installed them, though. All Allison equipped trucks have a "grade braking" feature, which is transmission control, and different than an "engine brake".

More Power
03-02-2012, 11:33
I'm lookingto purchase an LBZ Duramax and was wondering if they also have engine braking fromn the factory or is it only available as an aftermarket add on. Thank you and I'm enjoying the site to help me make my decision on a new to me truck.

Up to about 75% of the truck's GCVWR rating, the grade-braking feature works very well. At higher weights, it still does an excellent job on all but the steepest of grades. The steep grade coming out of Yellowstone near Cook City, Montana is one I hear about occasionally as being a nail biter when loaded heavy and no exhaust brake.

Jim

Kennedy
03-05-2012, 14:21
Through custom aftermarket programnming the turbo can be used to provide additional grade braking support just like the new trucks. This works quite well although it's not quite as "selective" as some would make you think.

I've been using this on my 2005 and 2007 for a while now with good results.