PDA

View Full Version : Bad vacuum pump problem

master53yoda
02-24-2012, 20:17
I bought a 1994 6.5 2500 suburban as a project truck because it kept stranding the old owner, he had replaced the alternator, transfer pump, and new batteries, he gave up and i got it for $1600.00 and have resolved all the problems except the bad vacuum pump. My question is does the vacuum pump serve anything other then the wastegate control, i am planning on going with a spring controlled wastegate as long as the rest of the truck still functions correctly.

I also fought an intermittent problem with surging , gauges not right problems, SES lights, and dropping out of speed control . and it turned out to be a bad battery cable connection at the batteries on the + side of the system even when everything was tight and cleaned up, one of the cables rubber had been hot sometime and had expanded to where the cable wasn't making contact with the battery and power wasn't getting a clean path. the path was through the bolt instead of the terminals and only seeing one battery and that battery had a stripped bolt on the ground side. I didn't look at the positive side until after redoing all the grounds until i had less then 2 M-Volt drop between the battery terminal and the body screws, with the head lights and glow plugs on. I was bad ground blind to anything else!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

After the electrical problem was solved and replaced the PMD because of the hot engine stalls all that was left was full throttle surging and the speed control drop out, when I hard connected the waste-gate closed those problems went away, and as long as i don't go hard into it won't over boost until i can get a spring waste-gate control built
up.

DmaxMaverick
02-24-2012, 20:23
Unless you have EGR, the vacuum isn't needed. You will need an aftermarket or non-EGR PCM to get past the SES complaints, though. If you have EGR, you can eliminate it, for off-highway use only, of course.

master53yoda
02-25-2012, 23:44
no egr, is there an issue over time with the old pump seizing up, should i block the discharge port on the pump so it isn't working, also should i do something else as far as it's place in the serpentine belt loop.

thanks for the feedback.

DmaxMaverick
02-26-2012, 01:40
If the pump seizes, it will shred the belt. Ditch the pump and use a 1993 belt.