PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a Dual Oil Filter Setup

DennisG01
05-17-2004, 06:35
I'd like to install a dual, remote oil filter bypass system. I'm tired of dealing with the awkard location of the stock filter and the mess that usually accompanies changing it and I figure I might as well add the bypass in addition to a remote filter. I am aware of AMSOIL and OILGUARD, but are there any other sytems out there that any of you would recommend? I don't really care if it's mounted in the engine bay or underneath - I just want it to be simple!

If AMSOIL and OILUARD are the two main companies, what do you think of them in regards to mounting locations and performance?

Any places in particular that you recommend buying from?

[ 05-17-2004, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Dennis Galligani ]

slagona
05-17-2004, 12:17
Do a search for "by pass oil filter" in the Ask Dr. Lee forum. There are several threads there. In the thread titled "bypass oil filter" dated 10-02-2003, jbplock desribes the system he used (and I bought) for his 6.5 by-pass oil filter.

I use the perma-cool adapters to remote mount the normal filter. I welded up a bracket which mounts to the frame rail under the driver's seat floor area. No more mess when changing oil.

I haven't installed the by-pass filter yet - but it is jbplock's system which is Baldwin B50 filters mounted to a OB1305 base.

The perma-cool adpaters were about $75 (several years ago). The OB1305 base is about $35. Hoses are around $100 (braided SS lines custom made). The beauty of the system is that it is a 2 micron system, and it only costs under $8 to change BOTH filters (the AC PF1218 and the B50). So changing them at every oil change won't break the bank.

I know you inquired about dual remote filters - but I'd consider remote mounting your full flow filter and going with a seperate by-pass filter. The initial cost is lower than the others, and the on-going cost of filters is much lower.

--Scott

rjwest
05-17-2004, 14:46
If you call Perma cool, they have a Heavy Duty dual
adapter and Filter adapter with Large fittings.
Less oil pressure drop.
More expensive, but I think the bigger lines are
worth it....

slagona
05-18-2004, 07:06
I guess I should have been a little more clear. DO NOT use the Universal Oil Filter Relocation Kits &Light Truck Kits from perma-cool. They have the smaller lines (3/8" pipe thread connections).

Perma-Cool DOES NOT have a dual filter setup that provides a port for a by-pass filter - BOTH filters in their dual filter setup are FULL FLOW filters - they just provide more capacity.

Use Perma-cool to remotely mount your current oil filter. Single filter mount with 1/2" NPT(int) ports right and left, 13/16"-16 thread #1793 is what you would use to mount your current filter onto. Found it for $24.09

USe the Spin On Adapter #114 Fits 13/16"-16 threads. Designed to fit early Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and small and big block Chevy V8's. 1/2" NPT(int) ports. 2-1/2" and 3-1/8" O-rings included. Found it for $11.52

Next, you need an adapter if you have a 4x4 (or any) truck which has the 90 degree oil filter adapter (filter mounts horizontally instead of vertially hanging down) and you want to remove the GM 90 degree adapter. I would recommend removing it as it is a source of leakage. Other than leaks, there really is no advantage to removing it. Mine was leaking, so I removed it. The GM adapter is held on with a Bolt. It's the one with the Large nut on the bottom of the adapter. You need to get the fitting that screws into the engine block that the spin on adapter would then screw onto. They are available from GM dealers or perma-cool. Perma-cools #187 13/16"-16 x 1" Long Filter Nipple should do it. Found it for $2.02. I actually bought mine from the dealer for about $15 or so.

The online site I priced these at ships for a flat-rate $7.95.

Total price is $45.58.

I would NOT recommend using the rubber hoses for connecting the spin on adapter to the remote mount. Too much heat from the cross-over pipe and possibility of failaure in the location we are using them. Have SS braided lines made - about $70 or order SS line and fittings from Summit or some other supplier and make your own - a much better way to go.

I routed my lines by going towards the front of the truck, bending around to the drivers side - going around the cross-over pipe to the frame rail. Running along the frame rail back to the remote filter mount.

I've used my system for about 50K miles now without any problems. There are better (more expensive) systems out there - but perma-cool is probably the best value for remotely mounting your existing oil filter. Then you would need the by-pass filter set up.

--Scott

JohnC
05-19-2004, 05:43
Originally posted by slagona:
... You need to get the fitting that screws into the engine block that the spin on adapter would then screw onto. Scott:

Is the adapter in the 4X4 adapter not reusable?

I'd recommend removing the 90 degree adapter because if it isn't leaking now it will be later.

slagona
05-19-2004, 07:51
The 4x4 adapter uses a "bolt" to attach to the engine block. It can be reused with the spin on adapter - But like you said, it's just another thing that can leak.

The oil filter, and spin on adapter, need a male 13/16" thread to screw onto. Removing the 4x4 adapter leaves a female thread in the engine block. You _may_ be able to remove nipple in the 4x4 adapter that the oil filter screws onto and put that on the engine block to reuse that nipple for the spin on adapter.

However, if you are ordering the perma-cool parts, I'd get the nipple for $2 just in case......

--Scott

rjwest
05-19-2004, 08:30
I left my 4x4 adapter on.
I figured if I ever have a problem ( on a trip )
I can put back my spare gm filter and eliminate
and leaks, damage etc....in remote asm.

JohnC
05-19-2004, 10:07
Originally posted by slagona:
You _may_ be able to remove nipple in the 4x4 adapter that the oil filter screws onto and put that on the engine block to reuse that nipple for the spin on adapter.That's what I was asking about. Just wondered if anyone knew for sure one way or the other.

JC

slagona
05-19-2004, 12:51
I'll check tonight - I still have my 4x4 adapter on the shelf. There are two types of nipples used - one has a hex head in the middle section of the nipple - simple to remove with a socket or wrench. The other is simply a nipple with a "mar" towards the end of the threads that go into the adapter. This prevents the marred side from unscrewing...... I'll check to see which type is on the 4x4 adapter. If it's the plain nipple type, it would be hard to get off without damaging the threads.

--Scott

tom.mcinerney
05-19-2004, 19:45
Canton Racing Products makes a hardy remote adapter, but requires a little filing to fit.

j7l2
05-28-2004, 05:04
I would like to bring this topic to the top again. I would like to install a remote bypass oil filter setup also. I would like to use the GM PF-1218 std filter for the full flow and I don't have a preference on the other filter.I also would like to see photos of some of TDP members installations. My vehicle is a 1995 Chev, 2500, ext cab, short bed, 4WD, 4L80E trans,6.5TD, with 200,000 miles on it. I would like to buy a complete kit rather than piece one together. I have searched the forums and have read all the posts on this topic, but still have the questions I have mentioned. Anyone care to jump in and offer info or ?????.

Thank you,
JimO

tom.mcinerney
05-28-2004, 18:18
J7I2--

If you want a complete setup, i think Dennis G. listed the two offerings in his initial post. I'm pretty sure there are photos at the AMSoil site.
I think the reason Slagona took the time to mention the bypass arrangement he uses is that the proprietary suppliers can be expensive over time.

I only got as far as the remote full-flow; i was unaware of the benefits of bypass filtration (esp for our sooted oil) when i acted, and i was delighted to be able to drain oil without bathing myself and the front diff in it.

I can mail a couple 300kb shots of the Canton Racing Products remote adapter with my filter on homemade bracket for Permacool remote filter mounting ; contact tbhpmci AT hotmail DOT com with your E address.

My full-flow is along inner framerail opposite engine filter pad. Beneath the regular cab 4x4, there's not much room. I'm thinking bypass , and possible spin-on trans filter, will be along outer frame rail, if i do it.