PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle seals

Charles P
02-26-2012, 07:28
I am on the thrid replacement of my rear axle seals. Would the pin weight of my 5th wheel be the cause? I drive a 2006, 2500hd cc Duramax. I tow Jayco Designer 35RLTS. Total towing miles in between first bad seal was at 75k miles, second seal was 7k miles later and then now, 5k miles. My truck is rated to do the work and I am not out of wieghts. Any thoughts?

JohnC
02-26-2012, 11:39
WAG:

First seal wore a groove in the sealing surface, which caused the second and third seals to fail prematurely.

cabletech
02-26-2012, 14:46
I think you are overloading your truck. I would guess your pin weight is a least 2500 lbs. But thats not causing your problem. The limiting factor on the rear axel weight rating is the tires/rims, not the axel. I agree that you probably have a grove causing the seals to fail.

Jay

Yukon6.2
02-26-2012, 16:50
Hi
Check your diff vent.If it is getting plugged the pressure will find a way out,ie axle seals.Seen that happen a few times.Might be getting kinked under load.
Thomas

JohnC
02-26-2012, 19:26
Check your diff vent.

Good point.

Charles P
02-26-2012, 19:35
WAG:

First seal wore a groove in the sealing surface, which caused the second and third seals to fail prematurely.

How would I go about fixing this? New axle shaft?

DmaxMaverick
02-26-2012, 19:42
How would I go about fixing this? New axle shaft?

It seals on the axle hub and flange, not the shaft. Proper sealing will seal the flange, or a Speedi-Sleeve will take care of the hub (or a new hub).

Charles P
02-27-2012, 03:05
Thanks for advise. Tuesday will be the big tear down.

JohnC
02-27-2012, 10:53
Tuesday will be the big tear down.

First make sure the vent line is not kinked or blocked. Even just a low spot in the line that allows oil do accumulate can cause leakage.

Kennedy
02-27-2012, 12:58
It seals on the axle hub and flange, not the shaft. Proper sealing will seal the flange, or a Speedi-Sleeve will take care of the hub (or a new hub).

The seals on the late model trucks are 2 pc seals so the flange to seal interface does not spin it is a static rubber to metal interface.

I know of a guy who once claimed his spindles were cracked so they had to replace the entire rear housing, but I have no proof to verify this. It seems though that the Right Rear is common to leak as most that I have had apart were leaking. Not sure if I buy the cracking thing. Definitely watch the vent as mentioned earlier here.

Charles P
02-28-2012, 11:25
Would or rather do air bags help with handling heavier pay loads? The lower part of the axle shaft has rubbing on it around the outter bearing/seals. Nothing scored and the surface was smooth.

DmaxMaverick
02-28-2012, 14:58
Your problem isn't the load. The 11.5" AAM rated axle capacity is 10.5K, by the mfg (GM rates the axle according to tire/wheel capacity). It doesn't matter what you do to the suspension in regards to axle load. It will always be the same. Airbags help the suspension, not the axle. Your load may be considered "light", by some of us.