PDA

View Full Version : CA Smog a flashed ECM

anp4god
02-29-2012, 04:59
Has anyone in California had to smog their truck with a Heath or other ECM installed? I'm wondering if they will pass the smog inspection. I know the smog shop plugs into the OBDII conncetion to see if their are any codes, but I don't know if they can tell if the computer has been changed out.

Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
02-29-2012, 07:33
If the VIN matches, it has no stored codes and it doesn't smoke, it's OK. I'm not sure what happens when a VIN doesn't match, but it's supposed to be one of the OBDII data scans when they plug it in. If there are no emission related codes, the rest of the inspection is visual, for equipment (EGR, Cat, if applicable) and smoke.

anp4god
02-29-2012, 23:06
If the VIN matches, it has no stored codes and it doesn't smoke, it's OK. I'm not sure what happens when a VIN doesn't match, but it's supposed to be one of the OBDII data scans when they plug it in. If there are no emission related codes, the rest of the inspection is visual, for equipment (EGR, Cat, if applicable) and smoke.

If I buy a Heath ECM, it should be programmed with my VIN, right? I know they want that info when you order it. If so, I'm going to start moving ahead with my mod list. The only other issue is the cat. I may just have to bolt the old exhaust on for the inspection because I can't seem to find a 3.5" or 4" CA legal CAT.

DmaxMaverick
02-29-2012, 23:23
If you upgrade your PCM, get a PCM core, and have it programmed. Keep your OEM for inspections. Same goes with the exhaust. Or, get your hands on a late model (Duramax) exhaust take-off (should be cheap) with a Cat. The Cat is 3.5" and flows good for what it is. If it is in place, there should be no reason for question. All of this, of course (disclaimer), is recommended for off-highway use only. It is illegal to operate a vehicle on public highways with a modified emission system.

anp4god
03-02-2012, 02:50
If you upgrade your PCM, get a PCM core, and have it programmed. Keep your OEM for inspections. Same goes with the exhaust. Or, get your hands on a late model (Duramax) exhaust take-off (should be cheap) with a Cat. The Cat is 3.5" and flows good for what it is. If it is in place, there should be no reason for question. All of this, of course (disclaimer), is recommended for off-highway use only. It is illegal to operate a vehicle on public highways with a modified emission system.

Thanks. I think I'll look around for a PCM core and Duramax exhaust first, then proceed with the mods. I like those ideas. It is four wheel drive, so of course I use it off road!

DmaxMaverick
03-02-2012, 05:50
Since you are in CA..... Keep in mind, Duramax EGR and Cats began here in for 2002 M/Y. The free world didn't require them until 2004.5 model years (LLY engine series). In other words, a 2001 CA smog or 2001-2004 (LB7 engine series, built before January 2004) Fed smog system won't include a Cat.