PDA

View Full Version : Question about a GEP block

sctrailrider
03-02-2012, 18:31
My GEP N/A motor has arrived, I have it all apart and getting ready to have it hot tanked for cleaning. Going to convert it to turbo spec.

My question is, how do I tell of the squirt nozzles are in it, I have cleaned the holes out from the bearing side and it looks like there is a small piece of aluminum with a small hole in it, or it could be the block is just machined for a nozzle to be put in it, I haven't seen what the hole looks like with a nozzle in it??

This is a military take out N/A GEP 6.5 motor, it looks like there is either a machined hole for a nozel or a nozzel already in there, anyone have a closeup pick or know if all the GEP motors have the nozzles in them and use different top bearings for the turbo motors??

The shop that is going to do the hot tank said that it isn't good for aluminum so if they are aluminum nozzles I need to know before I mess them up..

Chris

CedarGrove
03-02-2012, 20:23
I did a similar build. In mine, the nozzles were there. They didn't spray except for on 7 and 8 because of the NA bearings, but the nozzles were in the holes.

sctrailrider
03-02-2012, 21:32
Thanks, i thought they would be there, i just hope the hot tank doesn't mess them up.

DmaxMaverick
03-02-2012, 23:47
The little plugs with the holes are the spray nozzles. Non-spray blocks will have either no bores for the plugs, or blank plugs.

john8662
03-03-2012, 23:23
Most vatting won't hurt the aluminum. They won't want to vat an aluminum intake or anything because it'll dull it really bad, but won't eat it up. That's probably what they meant, but ask to be sure.

I had an AMG GEP block that was bare but rusty from sitting out as a bare block. It had to be vatted in muratic acid to kill the rust. This eats up the aluminum. I've got to buy a set of nozzles for this engine. It's not got splayed main caps on it now though, should be a good strong build. :cool:

sctrailrider
03-04-2012, 06:13
I am almost sure the nozzles are there, going to the tank first of the week so when it gets back I will see if things look the same, then the build thread will start.

Chris