PDA

View Full Version : Fuel injector choices

KenE
03-05-2012, 07:41
My pump is at Williams Diesel Service being rebuilt, I need some suggestions for the injectors. Williams says just get new Bosch, its not cost effective to rebuild the injectors.
So do I go new Bosch, new Delphi, or just reman injectors of unknown type and origin?
Harmonic balancer has a few small cracks around the outside of the rubber none go through it.
Any other major things to look at?
I have 247,000 on it now, and would love another 200,00. It is not my daily driver, just tractor hauler.
1993 6.2L GMC 2500
Thank you for the advice,
Ken

Kennedy
03-05-2012, 14:18
New Bosch have gotten quite expensive. We do remans with new Bosch nozzles. There's a lot of mysterious cheap stuff out there. I won't comment any further.

john8662
03-05-2012, 19:20
You probably have short-body injectors like a 6.5 does except with the n/a 6.2 nozzles. Kennedy is a good source for those. I recommend rebuilding them with quality Bosch nozzles like Kennedy mentioned above. The housing and good springs are the only things that get re-used from them.

Robyn
03-06-2012, 07:10
I agree also.

Stay away from the stuff thats all over ebay.

I use a local shop that specializes in all manners of injectors, pumps and such and they do the ebuild thing with new nozzles, springs if needed and reuse the body.

The stuff thats on the net can range from top quality stuff all the way down to stuff thats likely less than worthless.

Buying new is a big $$ hit for sure.

The last set I had rebuilt cost me $268.00 for the set (used my cores)

Good luck

Robyn

JohnC
03-06-2012, 19:53
... they do the ebuild thing with new nozzles, springs if needed and reuse the body.

e-build, is that like e-mail, e-tail, e-bay?

Or, can you get an I-build? Maybe there's an app for that?

KenE
03-07-2012, 07:09
I picked up the injection pump Tuesday and am waiting on injectors now, have a few other things to fix while it is apart, but things are looking good. Thank you for the advice.
Ken

KenE
12-13-2012, 21:28
Well, nine months later, and I still have a rough start issue, cold start is rough but if i push the accelerator a little it will smooth out, and the continue to warm up at a nice idle. Warm starts are not a problem. There is a medium amount of grey/white smoke while running rough.
I installed new fuel pump, glow plugs, controller and batteries when I did the IP and injectors, I have reseated all injector lines.
I have run about 2500 miles on it and seems the same, each time I get home and get to take it out for a spin.
Should I amp the glow plugs or is this a fuel line issue, i do not see any wetness or leaks on fuel lines.
Thank you,
Ken

DmaxMaverick
12-13-2012, 23:35
A few possibilities....

Timing is too retarded, or the HPCA isn't functioning. Adjust timing, and/or correct the HPCA.

You've installed AC60 plugs, and they aren't getting hot enough. Extend the glow cycle, or replace with Quick Heat plugs.

Your IP is unable to provide sufficient pop pressure to reliably function during a cold start.

Engine compression is low, requiring overhaul (least likely suspect, not common).

Subzilla
12-20-2012, 07:04
I would also say the HPCA/fast idle. My K5 has a malfunctioning temp switch that controls the HPCA. When the engine is cold, it will start rough with lots of initial smoke. When the HPCA/fast idle was working, I had none of this.

Now when you say you press on the accelerator, it smooths out at a nice idle, does the idle pop up faster? The 6.2's require you to "set" the fast idle prior to starting with a simple push of the accelerator pedal when the key is on and the GP's are warming up. This allows the fast idle solenoid to engage. This solenoid, at least on my 2 6.2 vehicles, doesn't have enough force to set itself without removing the resistance of the throttle cable - hence, depressing the pedal. The solenoid can then hold the fast idle.

Robyn
12-20-2012, 08:58
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS, EBUILD :o

REBUILD REBUILD.

Sorry about that. Yup an app would be cool :D

Missy

More Power
12-20-2012, 12:49
Try plugging in the block heater for a couple of hours before the next cold start. If the engine starts instantly with little smoke, more glow heat will help when not using the block heater. On the other hand, if there's a fuel injection or fuel supply problem, you'll still see the problem to some degree. Jim