PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L won't run; chugging; smoking badly

arveetek
03-05-2012, 21:14
As many of you have been reading, I've been having tremendous problems keeping a steady fuel flow to my IP. You can read this thread (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=39850) for that story.

Summary: IP was starved for fuel, I drove the truck until she died; towed her home, bled the fuel system, tried to restart, and haven't had any luck getting her running since.

Good fuel pressure to IP. Removed top cover of IP, all looked good, plenty of fuel. Plenty of fuel out of return line coming out of top of pump.

Engine will start with lots of cranking, but then runs really rough, shakes badly, dumps a ton of smoke out of tailpipe; smells of unburnt fuel.

Fixed my SES light, and pulled the following codes: 44, 45, and 62. The first two are EGR codes, which I would expect, as I have the EGR system disabled (now has non-EGR heavy duty intake manifold). The 62 is a low boost sensor error, which I would also expect as I have the top hat off the intake manifold. No other codes at this time.

Here's a video of my truck running this evening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGzzRxAu4C8&feature=youtu.be

Sorry for the poor quality, but notice how much smoke is coming out the pipe. It seems to me like something is almost stuck open, as if it's dumping way too much fuel into the system. It was running perfectly fine before she starved for fuel. Now this.

I'm a bit stumped. What do you recommend I do next?

Can something be mechanically wrong inside the injection pump, but not set a code?

Thanks,

Casey

john8662
03-06-2012, 14:38
I'd pick up a good used DS4 and throw on it and see.

These things have pretty good diagnostics, so you'd think something like this would be detectable electronically.

Have you altered the fuel supply any, running out of alternate tank?

arveetek
03-06-2012, 16:02
I'd pick up a good used DS4 and throw on it and see.

These things have pretty good diagnostics, so you'd think something like this would be detectable electronically.

Have you altered the fuel supply any, running out of alternate tank?

Fortunately I have a good used DS4 that I pulled from a running engine myself. I'm just wanting to verify my diagnosis before I engage in parts changing.

I'm quite surprised myself that I don't have a DTC 18, 36, or something along those lines. I have zero codes related to the IP. Weird.

No, I'm still running through the OEM tank and supply system. I thought about running off a small tank to bypass the OEM fuel system completely, just to rule out any unknown fuel supply issues.

It's just so odd....it starved for fuel, and now this....

Thanks,

Casey

phantom309
03-06-2012, 17:46
perhaps a good dose of methyl hydrate laced fuel, or a real good oem injector cleaner like the stuff cummins sells,.??

it sounds like mebbe the stepper motor is awol,. leaving the timing way behind,.

Nick

arveetek
03-06-2012, 17:57
it sounds like mebbe the stepper motor is awol,. leaving the timing way behind,.

I was thinking about that....surprised no codes have been thrown. I need to check into that though...

john8662
03-07-2012, 15:50
stepper motor, it'll fault, just unplug one and see.

Kennedy
03-08-2012, 12:08
The smoke to me seems blue-white like retarded timing.

I'd probably suggest trying the pump swap as well.

arveetek
03-08-2012, 15:11
The smoke to me seems blue-white like retarded timing.

I'd probably suggest trying the pump swap as well.

That's what I was thinking....it acts like severely retarded timing along with excessive fuel delivery.

Guess I'll swap pumps and see what happens.

Thanks!!

Casey

arveetek
03-14-2012, 07:10
Got the "new" DS4 swapped in last night. She fired right up and is running quite smooth. I need to adjust the timing, as she is smoking ever so slightly at idle. Otherwise she is running great.

I had purchased a 97 C3500 diesel for parts a while back. She had a 100K on the odometer before losing compression in cylinder #1. I was able to salvage the DS4 from that engine. I was pleased to see when I removed the pump that it had a sticker on it showing where it had been purchased/reman in Oct 2006. So that means the pump was not the original 97 unit and must have way less than 100K miles. And the pump looked brand new inside when I took the top cover off.

I should be good to go for quite a while.

However, I am still having lift pump issues. I'll update that thread as well.

Casey