PDA

View Full Version : What brand of clutch ???

sctrailrider
03-07-2012, 17:31
I'm going to replace my clutch & presser plate when I do my motor swap this summer, I am going to install a new clutch & plate then.

I have been looking around for a good one, nothing from china.

Considering a Hays #90-101, I have also been looking at south bend brand also, they are a bit pricey....

What do ya think, it's going behind a 6.5 turbo and used for towing.

Chris

DmaxMaverick
03-07-2012, 19:36
Pinching pennies is great, but save it for radio knobs and fuzzy dice. The clutch is no place to search a bargain. You get what you pay for. South Bend is good. Shop around.

sctrailrider
03-07-2012, 19:49
Pinching pennies is great, but save it for radio knobs and fuzzy dice. The clutch is no place to search a bargain. You get what you pay for. South Bend is good. Shop around.

I'm not tiring to save money, I know Hays makes good a
clutch and also south bend, I haven't replaced a clutch in a 6.5 other a rock auto one that was a need a fix fast as I was stranded. Now I have plenty of time and I am asking for info to find the BEST, not the cheapest, I know you get what you pay for and I believe it.

Just asking for first hand info from those e that have been there & done that..

Chris

DmaxMaverick
03-07-2012, 19:54
Also look at Luc. I haven't seen them around lately, but they were good. Dual mass (OEM) or traditional?

sctrailrider
03-07-2012, 20:01
solid - one piece fly wheel......

DmaxMaverick
03-07-2012, 21:37
I haven't been in this game for a while, but at the time dual-mass was a BIG issue, Luc was the answer (before South Bend, I think). Check with our vendors (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm) to compare what they have. Can't go wrong there.

sctrailrider
03-08-2012, 10:30
Been checking some different vendors and some research on the web......

Going with South Bend........

Chris

Kennedy
03-08-2012, 12:04
Since you are balancing you can have your engine shop verify the fit and balance of everything. From what I have seen they have a pretty decent product, but some issues with fitment and balancing.

I installed one with my helper on his own Duramax and the press fit to the crank was ridiculously tight. Another customer in the East could FEEL balance issues in his that went away with the stock unit. He finally had the unit balance alterred to match the OE piece and then things were good.

FYI the Ferramic dual disk I can say is jumpy/grabby and noisy. You pretty much have to just let it out and go.

sctrailrider
03-08-2012, 12:11
Since you are balancing you can have your engine shop verify the fit and balance of everything. From what I have seen they have a pretty decent product, but some issues with fitment and balancing.

I installed one with my helper on his own Duramax and the press fit to the crank was ridiculously tight. Another customer in the East could FEEL balance issues in his that went away with the stock unit. He finally had the unit balance alterred to match the OE piece and then things were good.

FYI the Ferramic dual disk I can say is jumpy/grabby and noisy. You pretty much have to just let it out and go.

Just got off the phone with them, great price for the kit,HD pressure plate, HD single disk, flywheel, buying direct from south bend sure does save a big wad of cash !!

trbankii
03-09-2012, 07:37
You can find 6.5DD and my stories about replacing clutches here: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31207

But I found South Bend to be quite a bit cheaper than other options. I don't have a lot of miles on the clutch since replacing it, but no complaints.

Kennedy
03-12-2012, 14:32
Definitely let us know how the balance and fit work out for you.

sctrailrider
03-12-2012, 17:03
Definitely let us know how the balance and fit work out for you.

I will John, going to be a few months before it all comes together. I decided to go with the complete kit and I will get me a new ball & fork at the same time.

And be sure and save me a set of pistons, for a week or two, my cash is going to fertilizer for the pastures this week, man it sure has gone up this year.... LOL