PDA

View Full Version : simple question on glowpugs

Corpse
03-07-2012, 21:05
i cant seem to remove the wires from the glowplugs them selves... i must be doing it wrong, the connection will wiggle but wont slide off... im worried ill break them if i pry too hard...

any trick to this?

thanks

BrIONwoshMunky
03-07-2012, 21:23
i cant seem to remove the wires from the glowplugs them selves... i must be doing it wrong, the connection will wiggle but wont slide off... im worried ill break them if i pry too hard...

any trick to this?

thanks

The connectors on the plugs are simple spade terminals, just pull harder.

DmaxMaverick
03-07-2012, 21:40
Yes. If they wiggle, they should pull off. They have a small barb in the female connector, so you'll have to overcome that. Equal pressure on the wire and insulator should free them.

Corpse
03-08-2012, 05:26
thanks! have you guys ever tried that glowplug extractor tool?

http://jjandaracing.com/contents/en-us/d9.html

seems a little pricy if they dont guarantee an unbroken extraction like in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwBXG6wZsg

DmaxMaverick
03-08-2012, 08:01
There are several methods to "pull" a swelled glow plug out. The tool (pricey!) is just a variation on a couple methods, which are cheap/free. They can't/won't guarantee pulls w/o breaking off the tip. Even under the best conditions, with the best tool or method, they still break off about 1/2 the time. If you are lucky (I'm not), the broken piece(s) won't fall into the cylinder.

Here's my method, tried and true, and 100% guaranteed to work every time, and it's cheap or free: Remove the injector. securely plug the flash hole (prevent anything from falling into the cylinder, I use a rolled up piece of inner-tube). Break off the glow plug, as close to the threads as possible. Push the broken tip into the pre-cup. Hit the GP hole with shop air (wear eye protection), or use a shopvac at the injector hole. Verify all pieces are out. I use a stainless steel bore brush (gun shop, Walmart, etc.) with a little WD40 to clean up the GP hole. If you have room, you can use the brush with a drill. This will remove soot build-up and rust. Give a blast of shop air to the GP hole to clear any debris, remove the plug and install the injector. Done.