PDA

View Full Version : New project

twaddle
03-10-2012, 09:33
Recently bought this 93 K2500. The crankshaft is supposed to be broken and I have a rebuilt 6.2 that I plan to retrofit after checking everything over first. With the truck being a 5 speed stick shift and the engine a non electronic it should be a simple enough swap.
I figured it would make a handy commuter/back up vehicle as my main truck the 96 diesel suburban is getting a little too much crankcase back pressure and at almost 270,000 miles on it, it isn't going to last forever.

Jim

Hooptybass
03-10-2012, 09:35
Nice looking truck .. Im looking at a 94 CC long bed 1 ton . no rust cant wait, it will need a motor thou but i got one waiting in the wings

twaddle
03-10-2012, 10:08
Thanks, it is always handy when you have the spare bits and pieces just waiting for the future projects.

At $800 I figured even if the truck was a no go to put back on the road it would be a good parts truck and the manual gearbox plus being 4x4 would be handy for another yet to be found project.
There was also a couple of new front fenders, brake pads and shoes and rear axle seals came with it.
At the moment I have a 42 ww2 jeep which is on the priority list to get ready for the MVPA AlCan convoy which my son and I hope to join for a trip of nearly a full month up through BC into the Yukon then Alaska and back in August. The total trip from here in Alberta and back will be around 5000miles so the ol' jeep has to be ready to go.
As soon as the jeep is ready which hopefully will tie in with the end of winter here in Northern Alberta (workshop is not insulated or heated) I can start on the engine swap of the new latest Chevy truck project.

Happy projects

Jim

Yukon6.2
03-10-2012, 22:35
Hi Jim
If your plans work out and you make the trip up the alaska highway,i'm in Haines Jct.If you overnight here it would be great to meet up with you.
Thomas

twaddle
03-11-2012, 08:55
Hi Thomas,
Looks like we will be stopping for one night in Haines Jcn arriving on the 23rd of August.

Jim

Robyn
03-13-2012, 07:19
Nice looking rig ya got there Jim.
Hope things work out for ya.

Missy

twaddle
03-13-2012, 10:45
Thanks Robyn,
I'm determined not to let this one sit for too long.
Once I get the time I will get it onto the hoist and give it a serious going over. I have to add up how much is needing spent on it for any parts needed to make it into a reliable truck (needs a full set of tires and a spare wheel never mind the engine swap).

Hopefully it will make a good reliable runabout without busting the bank. Having the rebuilt 6.2 saves a fair bit.

Jim

Yukon6.2
03-13-2012, 21:27
Hi Jim
It looks like someone stuck some 16.5" tires on it.
Search the pick a parts for cheap tires on wheels.Nice thing about GM's is the ford and dodge rims from the same era will fit.
Thomas

twaddle
03-14-2012, 08:19
Hi Thomas,
There is a mish mash of tire sizes and not yet checked if the wheels are all the same. I did notice that one tire was a 9.00 x 16. All 4 tires have badly perished and cracked sidewalls. That's why I want give the truck a good going over before spending any money on it. It looks like the good things have been removed, batteries, tires/wheels and a couple of fog lamps that may have been bolted on the front bumper by the vacant bolt holes. hopefully that's all.

I will drain all oils from the drivetrain casings and poke around with a magnet to see if any large pieces are lurking anywhere and will also be looking for signs of loose or missing bolts just in case the previous owner has swapped out more than just tires and batteries.

If things look ok then I will continue with the engine swap and overhaul suspension, brakes and steering components as required. I also plan on replacing the manual gearboxes input bearing and seal just to be on the safe side. Going to keep the 6.2 which is a 89 vintage naturely aspirated as I am going for economy rather than pulling power at the moment.

Regards

Jim