PDA

View Full Version : Cheroliving

Greenheart
03-11-2012, 12:01
I have a 95 chev 3500 6.5 turbo started sputtering about two weeks ago . Think I picked up some bad diesel .i have changed water seperater filter , and I do use an additive . Truck has 400 000 kms on it . I'am thinking of dropping the tank and having it cleaned. Anyone with other ideas?

350Tacozilla
03-11-2012, 17:47
Is it giving the sputtering at all times or just under load? Also have you checked to see if you have good fuel pressure from lift pump? I just had sputtering (and one stall) under load and it was a bad lift pump and small air leak in supply line to lift pump.

Artworks
03-13-2012, 06:29
You may still have some air in the system ,or lift pump problems. The filter "socK" in tank may be pluged up . If it doesn't already, get Kennedy's relay system for the lift. Check your filter & housing and make sure O rings are ok.

phantom309
03-13-2012, 19:49
i,d definitely check fuel flow at the tap while its idling,.before i even thought about dropping the tank,..

Nick

Greenheart
03-15-2012, 16:32
i,d definitely check fuel flow at the tap while its idling,.before i even thought about dropping the tank,..

Nick

I did that and it just sucked in air and stalled . Had to manually prime water seperater . Thanks for the suggestion

Greenheart
03-15-2012, 16:42
You may still have some air in the system ,or lift pump problems. The filter "socK" in tank may be pluged up . If it doesn't already, get Kennedy's relay system for the lift. Check your filter & housing and make sure O rings are ok.

Ya when I was tracing the fuel lines back checking for any problems I thought i might pull the in line pump and replace it . It looks like it could be the original . I have dropped the tank and had it cleaned . I have also replaced the water seperater filter , hopefully this will do the trick, thanks for the suggestions.

phantom309
03-15-2012, 17:07
Ya when I was tracing the fuel lines back checking for any problems I thought i might pull the in line pump and replace it . It looks like it could be the original . I have dropped the tank and had it cleaned . I have also replaced the water seperater filter , hopefully this will do the trick, thanks for the suggestions.
The diesel trucks have a fuel pump on the inside frame rail under the drivers door, it is switched on and off by the oil pressure sending unit on the back of the engine,.
Lots of good info regarding all this stuff,.
like i originally posted,. i,d check fuel flow before i dropped the tank,.and you did,.and now its cleaned,. all the better,.

good luck.

Nick

JohnC
03-16-2012, 19:11
I did that and it just sucked in air and stalled.

That's the problem; your lift pump isn't pumping.