PDA

View Full Version : crazy weather stopped the 6.5

phantom309
03-11-2012, 20:06
we,ve been having the craziest weather,. from freezing high winds and drifting snow to sunshine and warm tempratures temps swinging 50 deg in two days,.from 7-8deg to nearly 60deg,.

It was damn cold last night on my way back from town,.and the truck started bucking and coughing if you asked for too much power,.wtf?? So i babied the darn thing to my fuel stop and filled it,.took on 15 gals so i knew it wasn't empty,. same thing on the way to the house,. bucking and coughing if i tried too much throttle,.aaaargh,.

Got to the house and emptied that big filter i have ,. not a drop of water,. not like i suspected,. so took off the feed line and hotwired the pump and barely a trickle FFFFFF!!!!!!!!.... it was dark and late and cold so i shut the hood and went inside and did a donald duck impressions for 10 ins or so,. went to bed still cursing electric fuel pumps.
Today the weather has been nearly to 60 deg,. the top 4" of driveway is getting like soup,.yuk,. i laid under the truck and was so glad i added barbed fittings to the fuel pump so i could remove it quick,. had a bolt ready to stuff in the line to stop the siphoning, but,. hardly a damn drop came out,.??
so i wrapped my lips around the hose a blew hard enough i think my ring popped out like 3" of pipe,.and finally got air bubbles back into the tank,.
hooked the pump back up and it now pumps like crazy again,.not mention the hose siphoning beautifully,. right up my sleeve etc,.
So a nice drink of methyl for the truck and we'll see what happens,.

I sure wish it would either be cold or warm,. not both in the same day,.

Nick

Robyn
03-12-2012, 07:41
I would recommend getting the fuel level down, then dropping the tank and cleaning it out really good.

Replace the pickup tube/sock assembly or at least wash it really well to clear and crap from it.

Sounds like it could have had some water in it that froze for sure.

Good luck

Missy

phantom309
03-12-2012, 20:49
omg,. i, not pulling that tank again,. i just put the new sender in,.

damn thing this morning was idling to warm up for abit, i had the high idle on,
came out of the house 2-3 mins later and there,s a puddle of fuel under the truck and i can see fuel dripping AAARGH!!

so i open the hood, and the injector return line between #2 n #1 is spraying fuel out of a little pinhole,.so cut it shorter and all was fine,. but these return hoses aren't even 6 months old,.Grrrrrrr.

the bigger fuel pump does work well tho,.:D

Nick

racer55
03-14-2012, 08:48
There seems to be a lot of posts lately where folks replace the sending unit and get fuel starvation from a plugged fuel sock.

The aftermarket seems to be often using the gas sock on the diesel sending units and this is a bad deal.

You might need to remove the sock entirely and add an inline fuel filter before the LP.

phantom309
03-15-2012, 14:45
There seems to be a lot of posts lately where folks replace the sending unit and get fuel starvation from a plugged fuel sock.

The aftermarket seems to be often using the gas sock on the diesel sending units and this is a bad deal.

You might need to remove the sock entirely and add an inline fuel filter before the LP.

nah,. weathers been warm,. the methyl has worked fine,. on my 2nd tank now,.i ;splained what it was,.

Nick