PDA

View Full Version : New Muffler = power loss ???

strykerAKAmack
03-13-2012, 12:08
Had the tahoe in for inspection . Needed muffler to pass , New one installed
Drove truck home , Sat for 2 weeks took out today drove 10 miles ,stopped for couple hours and then on way home idle speed dropped from 600 rpm standard to bout 450 when at a stop , Also truck had no power and didn't seem to want to go over 1750 rpm unless I floored it then it seemed to hesitate but gradually picked up speed . No engine codes came up . Top radiator hose was hot and seemed to be under high pressure , couldn't easily squeeze it . Blocked ? temp gauge didn't show high though .
98 tahoe 6.5
stock

Any ideas ?

DennisG01
03-13-2012, 12:22
I think if it was the muffler, you would have noticed it right away.

I've had some weird things happen when a battery cable isn't tight or the connections aren't clean - even a little corroded can affect it. It may or may not be your problem - but it's always a good starting point.

Whereabouts in NE PA?

strykerAKAmack
03-13-2012, 12:54
Did the batteries ,alternator , wires all around last year .
Checked the turbo and it spins free no noise from it .
Didn't see any mouse chewed wires . Will need to put on lift for a better look .
May be the resonator went and clogged up the new muffler . Looked like all original exhaust since the truck lived all its life indoors ....till I got it :) And All the records I have doesn't say anything bout replacement exhaust .

Im up by Snydersville

DennisG01
03-13-2012, 14:16
That's a pretty good lifespan for the exhuast - especially 'round here with all the salt on the roads in the winter.

Just to be sure, maybe give the cables a once over and check that they're tight.

Unless a chunk of the catalyst material flew out, I can't see anything else clogging up the muffler (OEM style or straight thru?). I've been on this forum for a while and I don't think I've ever read about chunks - but I could be wrong.

Now, the kitty could be clogged up. My Kennedy exhaust came with some really cool clamps. You could cut into the pipe (in front or behind the kitty) to check it out, then seal it back up with one of these clamps.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before.... Check your fuel filter - or maybe just change it if it's been a while.

strykerAKAmack
03-15-2012, 13:47
Yep
gave cables a look , looked good
Filter ... the culprit :)
threw a new one in , all good again .

thats what I like
a nice simple fix to a problem

DennisG01
03-16-2012, 05:42
Yep
gave cables a look , looked good