PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic brake pads....

Dvldog 8793
09-21-2005, 11:43
Howdy
Does anyone out there run ceramic brake pads? What kind of performance do you get? Do they really make allot more noise? My main reason for thinking of using them is the dust issue. My front brakes are Powerstop rotors w/ EMS calipers and pads. They work good but really make a mess and it's about time to replace the pads so I'm thinking of running something cleaner if the performance is the same.
Thanks in advance!
L8r
Conley
USMC87-93

Billman
09-22-2005, 02:47
I've got them on everything I own.

I can't get too in depth about them and give you specific data, but they don't make any noise, leave minimal dust, and require less pedal effort when hot.

Yes. I like them.

Most of the stuff coming from the factory now has a ceramic compound I believe.

Kennedy
09-22-2005, 05:10
I prefer a severe duty semi metallic pad like Raybestos Super Stop (SSD series) or Car Quest Gold. These are police/ambulance grade stuff. I feel that the ceramic and ultra brakes are too hard and often diminish braking power, especially when cold. The linings mentioned above I feel are the best compromise between stopping capability, life, and fade resistance. I'm thinking the CQ "Gold" may be less dusty. I just ordered a set for my 2002 Dmax that at 77k still has a TON of lining left. Wholesale is aboyut $80/axle on these :eek:

AC Delco offers some excellent brakes also as indicated by the long life of those on my 2002 and many others across 100k...

mklein
09-23-2005, 04:45
I tried the Bosch Ceramic for my 95 3/4 ton burb, and wouldn't buy them again. I haven't been getting much more than 15-20k out of a set. They came with a lifetime replacement warranty, but I am on my 3rd set, and am a little tired of replacing them. On my truck, they required more pedal pressure. Little dust, no noise.

TurboDiverArt
09-23-2005, 05:16
Originally posted by kennedy:
I prefer a severe duty semi metallic pad like Raybestos Super Stop (SSD series) or Car Quest Gold. These are police/ambulance grade stuff. I feel that the ceramic and ultra brakes are too hard and often diminish braking power, especially when cold. The linings mentioned above I feel are the best compromise between stopping capability, life, and fade resistance. I'm thinking the CQ "Gold" may be less dusty. I just ordered a set for my 2002 Dmax that at 77k still has a TON of lining left. Wholesale is aboyut $80/axle on these :eek:

AC Delco offers some excellent brakes also as indicated by the long life of those on my 2002 and many others across 100k... I would agree with that! I put on a set of NAPA severe duty (or whatever they are called) and man do they grab when hot. High metallic content, not ceramic. They are about normal cold, same as the stock ones I replaced. After driving on the highway a little they really grab nicely. Makes me feel better when towing to know this.

Art.

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
09-23-2005, 13:16
I replaced the pads that came with my Praise Dyno brake kit because of the dusting. What I actually did was install new NAPA calipers that were preloaded with ceramic pads. I had no noticable difference in stopping power but less dust. Not dust free, but obviously less dust.

damork
09-23-2005, 15:45
I have Hawk Superduty pads on PowerSlot rotors and couldn't be happier. I spent a lot of time doing research with parts stores, the internet and other owners before choosing these. They are not ceramic, have a bit of noise when you first install them, and they don't cause dust.

I recall parts stores telling me the ceramics didn't do as much in the friction department as they did with reducing dust. I wanted more friction. Keep in mind - the noise will go away but it takes time. I had at least 10k miles on mine before they settled down but they really last.

The only other pad that appeared to come close for street use was from Performance Friction Z-Rated which I understand are sold at Autozone. Only problem with those is they dust, but they do stop very well.

I used Raybestos Powerstop shoes for the rear to start with and they helped a lot, but the front disc/pad setup is no comparison compared to what I used to have.

Here's some info...

http://www.hawkperformance.com/truck/superduty.php
http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/about_pfc.htm
http://www.brakewarehouse.com/
http://www.allperformancebrakes.com/

Herman_Bolger
09-27-2005, 17:15
We use "normal" pads on our '93 dually, we haul boats and the average loaded weight would be about 12-15,000 lbs, on the trailer. We change the pads once year. On our other truck we were using metalic pads, the pads did not wear, the rotors sure did. I don't mind changeing pads once a year, cheaper than rotors, something has to wear, if it's not the pads, there's only the rotors left. We have to do annual saftey inspections on comercial vehicles anyway,so while the wheels are off. I would live with extra dust, maybe just clean the wheels a little more often, so they don't look so bad.

HammerWerf
09-28-2005, 06:31
The factory pads on my 99 lasted about 23k miles. Replaced them with Raybestos SuperStop. Had to replace them at 72k. Dust was not much of a problem. Replaced the SuperStops with a set of Autozone "Duralast Gold", about $40. Now have 78k on these. Stops like a champ. Dust seems to be fairly low.

Next project will be rotors. Been watching the posts and research by damork and others. Should be a good upgrade based on what they have found and reported on.

HammerWerf

FleetFilter.com
09-28-2005, 15:37
The ceramic pads are excellent - I've used Napa's for a long while. The only caveat is that the pad material seems to be so hard that they'll chew up a cheap rotor quicker than normal.

Herman_Bolger
09-28-2005, 16:47
Just in case, my cheap rotors were from the general.

Barry Nave
09-29-2005, 01:27
I'll 2nd the Dura-Last.
Had a rear seal leak and changed out rear shoes with NAPA. Now after 5k they squell under light braking. The rears are also grabing and under hard braking with wet roads they will slide the rear tires. Did feel the ABS working.
Is the ABS on both the front and rears?
Just the front? on 95 3500.
Shoes issue or brake issue?
Hooked up to a trailer once and checking for brake lights, I felt the ABS trying to pulse the pedal. Some kind of short I figuer so did not use the brake wire but needed the running lights.