PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

signguy1010
03-21-2012, 18:26
Hello all, I am a newbee and I found the required reading quite informative. PMD section caught my attention as when hot it does not fire right up like it should. I noticed the heat sink fins when checking the oil but didn't know what it was or anything else at the time. First diesel 6.5 in a 2000 3500HD that I drive for deliveries at a company that fixes diesel engines. They don't go on the road with me so I want to know it inside and out.
I have already learned the Glow Plug relay trick (Jump with screwdriver) during the winter when it had Glow plug issues. I have found it useful during hard starts when the PMD heats up. A couple short cycles and it starts right up. As of now I am accepting the Module as the problem until I find out otherwise. Moving it sounds like real good advice.
Was it the factory's idea to move the PMD from on top of the intake manifold and mount it on the air tube that has hot exhaust gases from the turbo running through it. If so it seems like they moved it just far enough to not have to change the wiring harness and in my estimation was a stupid idea. At least on the pump it had fuel to help to cool it. Seems to me that tube gets pretty hot and the heat would want to transfer to the module and not the other way around.
Anyway I took it loose and hung it from the A/C tube with a couple of wires and ran a temporary ground until I can get the right stuff to move it permanently. Will know tomorrow if it helped as batteries were low and I used the tested glow plug method to make sure i didn't get stranded. At least the wires are already out there it will be pretty simple to do.
1) Is an extension harness available by itself or would I have to buy the kit? I already have the finned heat sink and don't see needing two. Perhaps someone may know where the best deal is?
2) I also want to cool it down and think that 180 thermostats and a check for grime between A/C Condenser and Radiator are the first step. It runs at right around 210 but runs best just under 200. If someone has a part number for the thermostats I would appreciate the info.

I am sure that everything I need to know is in here somewhere and will have a long look around. Regularly.

Just wanted to give everyone a Warm Hello from the Motor City and say that I am sure glad you are here. Have a Nice Evening, Dwayne

racer55
03-22-2012, 09:46
The factory decided that the PMD mounted on the IP was best,fuel flowing through the IP was meant to keep it cool and did pretty good at that.
The problem comes when you shut the truck down and everything heatsoaks with no more fuel flow.

Mounted on top of the intake is probably the worst location possible since even when the truck is running down the road,heat from the engine/intake warms the heatsink and hot air moving through the rad adds even more heat-then at shutdown it really gets cooked.

A note for you-when a PMD begins to fail there is no saving it,moving it to a location outside the engine bay will not revive a failing unit.Replacement is your only option at that point.
But do indeed get the PMD/heatsink/resistor combo mounted behind the grill or behind/under the frt bumper.

PMD extension cables are available from several vendors by themselves-no kit needed.
Burning Oil or Leroy at www.pmdcable.com can fix you up with an extension harness,or John at www.kennedydiesel.com can also help out.

Another note: if there is a black ground wire fastened to the heatsink currently on the intake,you need to remove that wire and fasten it back to the top of the IP under and optical sensor screw where it belongs- that location on the heatsink causes more than it`s fair share of problems alone.

Check out the vendors section of the forum for all your needs:
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

From your description I would hazzard a guess that some of your glow plugs are burnt out and most likely stock units,a set of quick heats from Kennedy Diesel will make a big difference in your starting woes.

signguy1010
03-22-2012, 17:48
Thank you Racer55 for taking the time to reply.
Not completely sure that it has started failing yet and harness is ordered. It makes sense now that all the harness' I looked at did not have the ground as it was to stay where it was. It does not want to start when it is hot but has never stalled and only stumbles for a second when it is ready to start blowing some soot out the exhaust. But even after that it has good power and moves right out
It started missing like it was overheating at 205 degrees (50 miles from the shop) which turned out to be a ground that the trainee didn't put back on when he had it apart.

Some problems can be solved by retracing where the last guy has been. Should not be to hard just follow the connectors with the broken clips.

Well tomorrow I can look inside the connector for the pmd and see if that resistor got blown out when the oil was being power washed out of the intake.

Thought the relocation would be a snap but at least I can take a good look around while I am in there returning the ground. I kind of wanted to anyway so I guess there is a bright side to everything.

Thanks again,Dwayne