PDA

View Full Version : vac pump &?

Pat Dolan
03-21-2012, 19:05
My '97 K15 is at 220k kms (140k mi) and the vac pump just crapped the bed. Of course, I have no boost and have to replace it. A few questions: is this normal service life? I was quoted $275 less $35 core at NAPA (retail about $350) - does this sound about right? Better quality or price somewhere else? I have an FSD cooler and relocate, still original cam chain, injectors and pump (no starting or cold running issues).

I have replaced the exhaust from downpipe back (Hearthrob - pee poor quality - downpipe did not even fit!) and I seem to be getting 500km per tank in DD mode (probably 18 USmpg overall - seems typical here for short gearing). I am in love with this truck (my best bud bought it new, I started driving it a year ago since it has sat for nearly 10 years barely ever used) and want to keep it not only good, but really want to get that 24mpg from the original mileage sticker.

What are the most likely things to watch for in failure times, and where is the magic to get the mileage up to optimum?

racer55
03-22-2012, 09:32
There are vac pumps on ebay from $90 right on up.

Reports are that aftermarket pumps do not have the lifespan that the original Delco pumps had.

RockAuto.com has several vac pumps on offer listed under brake/wheel hub,the delphi options should be good.

Kennedy
03-22-2012, 09:44
We sell only the GM/Delco units as time and time again we hear of short life with aftermarket. I believe that the aftermarket is what gives the vacuum pump such a bad name. Generally 100k is a reasonable expectation.