PDA

View Full Version : Furnace oil

maverick_935
03-24-2012, 17:33
Since we up North here are at the 1.40/l mark and still climbing I am going to ask this question. Can we burn or mix furnace oil in our trucks? It is at .80/l.

It is clean, has a high BTU rate so I thought I would ask. We can buy it at the pump here.

rapidoxidationman
03-25-2012, 10:26
If I'm not mistaken the money you save by burning fuel oil will be more than made up for in repair costs for fuel pumps and injectors, legal issues notwithstanding. Furnaces have considerably less moving parts to keep shiny and properly lubricated and the composition of the fuel reflects that.

But I could be wrong.

lmholmes11
03-25-2012, 12:27
If by furnace oil you mean non taxed dyed" farm fuel" then I would suggest not putting it on your tank. Up here in michigan if you get your tank randomly tested the fine is around $1000 per gallon. And they will punch a hole in your tank right on the spot.

convert2diesel
03-25-2012, 19:23
Since we up North here are at the 1.40/l mark and still climbing I am going to ask this question. Can we burn or mix furnace oil in our trucks? It is at .80/l.

It is clean, has a high BTU rate so I thought I would ask. We can buy it at the pump here.

At 80 cents a liter, count yourself lucky. Last furnace fill here cost me $1.09 a liter ($4.15/US Gal).

Short answer to your question is "it should work". However, the fuel company won't quarantee the cetane rating, nor the lubricity additive content. Theroetically it all comes out of the same pipe. Could also be in NB, that furnace doesn't have to be ULSD. Would account for the low price.

Will echo issue about colored fuel. Here in Ontario, if they catch you they base the fine on the total mileage on the odometer. Local farmer here got hit with a $15,000 fine. He claims his hired hand used the wrong tank to fill up his truck, but knowing the individual, more than likely the fine was justified. The old line of "I use tranny fluid as an additive" doesn't usually work and after next year they will be putting in a radioactive isotope into the fuel so the roadside inspector can tell with a probe in the exhaust.

You should be able to use it but stock up on filters and buy a case of Stanadyne additive.

Bill

maverick_935
04-01-2012, 13:30
are there any other thoughts on this matter. I would be curious to know if it would work?

More Power
04-02-2012, 12:31
As was mentioned, the fuel oil can be ULSD diesel#2 or not... If your truck has a catalytic converter, fuel oil could present a risk to plugging/poisoning if it's high sulfur fuel. Talk to your local distributor or delivery guy. They would know more.

Inventories of crude oil are near historic max at U.S. pipeline distribution centors, like Cushing, OK and petroleum use is much lower than in the past. Some would ask how the supply/demand theory works under these situations, given the ever increasing cost of fuel. I've heard it suggested that the current price trend for petroleum is more a function of currency devaluation than "tight supply". Just a thought...

convert2diesel
04-02-2012, 20:29
are there any other thoughts on this matter. I would be curious to know if it would work?

Call your local Irving distributor. He will tell you the specs on their furnace oil. If it's ULSD your good to go, pending my suggestions above re additives. Its very possible the furnace oil will be the same except for the lubricity additives (normally added at the rack/tank farm). Here in Canada, our #1 (winter diesel) is cut with kerosine. so make sure you are getting true #2. By February, the #1 around here is closer to Jet A than it is to #2. A certain amount of #1 is kept aside for furnace for those that have outside tanks.

Bill

chessy56
04-30-2012, 17:51
One of my local distributors told me that the oil that I used to run in my furnace was the same stuff they drop at construction sites for heavy off-road equipment. They'll pull up in a small tanker and pump right into the equipment's fuel tanks. I'll have to assume that off-road equipment has some good filtration. My (former) distributor didn't know anything about soot modifiers. I don't burn oil any longer since converting to nat gas, but I did hear that the DMV can fine you something like $1K/gallon in the tank and can confiscate your truck. Typically, they're not looking for the light duty pickup truck owners; they want the big guys who are cheating on business taxes....