PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth having a pro do my timing?

kenz5380
03-26-2012, 07:57
I have a 1985 6.2 Xmilitary pickup. I've never messed with the timing at all, but lately I've become concerned that it is possibly too advanced as there is a lot of diesel rattle and I don't know if I'm being paranoid or if it is really bad timing. It seemed to get better when I added some sea foam to the fuel on one tank. How much do pros charge to set the timing and does anyone know of one in Denver that I could trust to do a good job?

Thank you for your advice.

john8662
04-23-2012, 08:52
touchy subject here.

There are at least 3 supported ways to check the timing on a 6.2L Diesel.

The book calls for the Tach-n-Time (TNT) timing meter to set the timing, and gives good specs of what to look for on timing (between 4-6 degrees BTDC at 1400 RPM). The meter use a tach signal from a probe placed on the timing tab on the balancer and a clamp-on Piezo adapter on an injection line, kind of like a lead on a timing light for a gasser.

Another method is the Snap-on MT480, which is a lumicity type meter, it sees the pulse in the cylinder when the engine actually fires. For this type of meter you're looking for 2 degrees ATDC at 1400 RPM. This is the equivalent timing figure for this type of meter.

A third is also a snap-on tool, it's a pulse generator that works like the Tack-n-time with a piezo adapter, but it pulses a timing light, you flash the balancer just like you're timing a gasser. Harder to read and can be highly inaccurate depending on the timing tab position on the balancer.

Before hiring a pro, determine what they're going to use. Ensure they're using the right meter and the right timing figures.

Expect to pay at least $100 for checking and moving the timing if they have to.

Otherwise, search the forum for past postings about adjusting the timing by ear, etc.

kenz5380
05-22-2012, 10:51
Thank you for the info.