PDA

View Full Version : mechanical dummy needs help

JackRH
03-26-2012, 08:18
My 02 DM has 187xxx miles and runs great with the exception of the ABS & Brake light comes on sometimes. I searched here on that subject and have checked all the grounds, connectors, etc so guess I will live with that as long as I can get a safety sticker.

My help question is how do I tell if I need new shocks. I don't feel any rocking, etc.
seems like after 187xxx miles I should need shocks but I don't want to put out good money for something I might not need.

thanks for your help
Jack

More Power
03-26-2012, 09:47
I installed new Bilstein shocks on my truck, that had about 25,000 miles on it at the time. There was a significant improvement in the ride quality with the new shocks. If I hadn't made the shock upgrade I might not have thought the original shocks were a problem.

See review: http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/bilstein.htm

What I'm saying here is that if you're still running the original shocks you don't know what you're missing... ;)

Is the truck setting ABS codes?

Jim

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2012, 10:19
There are 2 common issues that may cause the ABS lamp and ABS problems. Wheel speed sensor contamination, and/or wheel bearing failure. If your bearing(s) are original or high-mileage, I suspect a failure is most likely. To test the bearings, jack up a front wheel and firmly push/pull at the top of the tire. Rotate the wheel to several positions and repeat the push/pull at the top. Any wheel movement, in relation to the chassis, indicates a high possibility of bearing failure. Repeat on the other side wheel. If the bearings check out OK, inspect the wheel speed sensor. Remove them and inspect for contamination of debris, metal shavings, water, salt indications (for "salt belt" drivers), or anything that isn't clean, clear grease. Look into the hole for the same. There is a procedure for cleaning/greasing the sensors, but unless the hubs are relatively new (60-100K miles), just replace them. New hubs include a new wheel speed sensor and harness.

Ditto on the shocks. If yours are original, good replacements will offer a marked improvement. I replaced mine at about 50K with Bilsteins, and the improvement was immediately noticed, towing or empty.