PDA

View Full Version : Front spring clunking and slap

Inspector
04-03-2012, 06:26
I have owned my medium duty (C5500) for three years now. I have always had a clunking from the front end when traveling at low speeds on a bumpy road or street or when transitioning from one street to another while turning right or left. It was very annoying. I posted on a Kodiak chassis site about my delema and after a some time got a reply that there is a fix. The fix is a set of Dalron blocks that are inserted between the two leaves near the front curls. What they do is eliminate the movement between the upper and lower curls at the forward spring mount.
The lower spring rear is allowed to slide on what appears to be a nylon flat bearing surface that is trapped between the rear upper curl and the lower spring end. I believe I'm getting some slapping from that in some conditions from the aft position. Still working on that. The block kit did eliminate 99% percent of the noise.
Just FYI
Denny

Eddie-J
05-31-2012, 09:33
Hi Denny,

I was glad to come across your post. The slapping/clanking sure is annoying, especially since the overall ride of the rig is excellent.

Can u tell me the exact name of the kit and where to buy it? I searched online for Dalron blocks but didn't find anything.
Also, did you install them yourself? Is it easy to self-install?

Thanks a bunch,
Eddie J.

Inspector
06-02-2012, 15:55
The company is called World Class North America. They will take care of you over the phone. The # is 2606685511. The blocks come with complete instructions. You will need the help of one person to pry open the leaves so that you can slip the blocks in. You will need a stout pry bar. I'm thinking that I picked up some of the weight with my leveling jacks to help with the separation.
They did the trick for me. Also on the drivers and passenger side you will find a U bracket with a bolt and spacer through the legs on the top side of the upper leaf. If you find that you still have a bit of slap remove that bolt and spacer. I don't want to say that you should remove the bolts and spacers but do what you feel is good for you. I did on mine and the front is completely quiet.
Mine had a bit of clearance between the bolt/spacer and the top of the upper spring.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Denny