PDA

View Full Version : IP Durability Enhancements

AndyL
05-18-2004, 11:16
Looks like I could be replacing my IP in the near future. Although I don

damork
05-18-2004, 13:09
Of the items you list, the first one mentioning a filter is the most practical. The rest appear to be an excercise in futility. Any additional insulation in the area of the pump would create more of a heat problem. Just keep the covers off the top of the engine and allow the heat to escape.

I'm on my 5th pump and it has done the best of all so far and the major difference outside of updates from the pump company are running my FSD or PMD remotely and adding improved fuel filtration before the lift pump (30 micron).

I was considering adding or putting in a 2 micron element as a secondary filter or maybe replacing the oem unit, but haven't yet. The Racor elements rated at 45 gpm have such a low pressure drop I don't believe there would be any problem using the existing lift pump, and getting down to 2 micron would be a step better than the oem 5 micron unit. I think the pre-lift pump has helped stop water and other junk from reaching the secondary filter.

rjwest
05-18-2004, 13:21
Pre Filter, YES.
Running a pre filter ( perma cool ) 2 micron
about 35 dollars in JEG's catolog.
It has a drain, I get some rusty collered water when ever I drain it.
Never got anything out of pri filter ).

Do lose some fuel pressure on HEAVY full,
Engine never missed.
Did install a second lift pump at th tank outlet.
( Pri lift pump pulls fuel through it).

Use Lift pump as needed, so far have not needed it other than to purge air ( sw on dash).

Installed it for cold weather, did not know if
cold fuel would be a problem in 2 micron.
Ok so far to 8 degrees,

AndyL
05-18-2004, 13:34
Originally posted by damork:
Of the items you list, the first one mentioning a filter is the most practical. The rest appear to be an excercise in futility. Any additional insulation in the area of the pump would create more of a heat problem. Just keep the covers off the top of the engine and allow the heat to escape.
You stated yourself that removing the FSD helped, I am assuming that is because of the reduced heat. By insulating the IP from engine heat the fuel flow around it should keep it cooler than engine temps to further help. Since the FSD is removed (a big heater) my guess is that the pumping action of the IP doesn't contribute near the heat the engine does.

Anyone have temperature data read at the IP?

damork
05-19-2004, 04:50
AndyL,
Moving the FSD / PMD away from the engine was the right choice and quite easy to do, however the pump and lines is quite another story.

The close proximity of the pump and lines down in the vee of the engine poses a very big challenge where I

Black95TD
05-19-2004, 05:25
AndyL

One other thought. I read somewhere that a lot of the diesel fuel does not meet lubricating standards. I guess the sulphur used to help lubricate and now its gone. I use Stanadyne's Lubricity formula with every tank as a precaution. You can get it from the listed vendors in larger quantities.

Also, I have had some really bad loads of fuel. Now I only buy it from a 100% known and reliable source. Its advertised as "Premium" and currently at $189.99 - not too bad for Connecticut. I never shop for price - thankfully the guy I deal with is fair.

I always keep my tank at least 1/2 full. My pump and FSD are at about 60K now.

Good luck!

AndyL
05-19-2004, 05:56
You could be correct, that is a massive heat supply for such a small area to insulate. As a computer overclocker myself maybe a Peltier or water block attatched to the FSD mounting location would be the cooling ticket.

tom.mcinerney
05-19-2004, 19:22
Andy-

Clean fuel with lube additive good.
RE Temp--The OEM fuel conditioner designed to heat fuel to above room temp. The faster it heats in cold weather, easier on pump internals.

The duramax series employs a little radiator on the fuel line by the fuel tank (that model heats the fuel more) to keep fuel from overheating. It's conceivable that running the fuel thru a trans cooler might be worth it when lugging, or stop-and-go-traffic in high ambient temps . But running with a lot of fuel in the tank helps.

I added a second filter, with transparent bowl, and a water sensor. One filter leaves no margin for those bad fuel loads, or a rare defective filter, or the screen pops out unnoticed....

gmctd
05-19-2004, 19:35
Andy, see my response to your TDC timing post for inj pump temps.

C.K. Piquup
05-22-2004, 03:27
Another thought.Duct cool air to the pump.My solution?MFI,sorry.I`m eyeing-up a`97Suburban,so I may be back in the EFI game again(I already have a spare IP,FSD,and cooler).