PDA

View Full Version : engine build date

ScottB
04-06-2012, 19:21
I recently purchased a 96 Suburban, build date June 96, Mexico. The engine block stamp last three digits are 141. The Suburban came out of Florida and is spotless. The Suburban had 196,000 when I purchased it and now has 200,000 with no problems. My question is this a quality engine/year to own for high mileage? Thanks

DmaxMaverick
04-06-2012, 20:20
141 blocks are good, for pre-sprays. They don't have piston cooling, so you have to keep that in mind when considering upgrades (over-the-top HP). Your history of the engine and truck speaks more to its ability than the series of components. 200K is pretty good, and should continue unless you change something. Still, common maintenance items should be considered (injectors, cooling system, etc.).

ScottB
04-06-2012, 20:41
I'm a Suburban fan with 237,000 on my 99, 5.7 gas Suburban. MPG and duribility are most important. The only upgrade I was thinking about is the 4" exhaust system, assuming the benefits would would help both MPG and performance. any suggestion would be helpful.

DmaxMaverick
04-06-2012, 21:00
Large exhaust is always good. However, the cost vs. return (ROI) won't likely ever be seen. At stock power levels, the OEM exhaust system is functionally fine. If you upgrade, you might see a fraction of a MPG increase, which won't likely ever pay for itself. When you're concerned with MPG, spending money to get more may cost more than the result.

ScottB
05-06-2012, 20:00
After reading numerous post on the 6.5, although some people have over 300,000 miles on their engine, most don't, between crack blocks, bad heads, etc... what can a person expect a normal engine to last before major engine trouble, if driven properly. Thank you...........

More Power
05-07-2012, 14:40
After reading numerous post on the 6.5, although some people have over 300,000 miles on their engine, most don't, between crack blocks, bad heads, etc... what can a person expect a normal engine to last before major engine trouble, if driven properly. Thank you...........

Diesel-related bulletin boards are filled with problem vehicles. People with problem vehicles are far more likely to post their problems than are people to post their success with a vehicle. This skews the perception. It's human nature.

For example... I spoke with a 6.5 owner a couple of months ago whose family business bought a 2000 model year 6.5TD powered van brand new in 2000, used as a mobile service vehicle.

After 650,000 trouble-free miles, it is now ready for its first new fuel injection pump. The engine is still running the original water pump, the original head gaskets, the original injectors and fuel injection pump, sensors, and every other bolt-on part on the engine - even the original PMD and lift pump. The engine still runs fine, just sets a couple of related DTC codes.

By the way, I asked him to send me a few pics, to put together a success story for TDP to share with other 6.5 owners.... We'll see.

Jim