PDA

View Full Version : Why no coolant filter?

lmholmes11
04-17-2012, 06:49
Anyone know why duramaxs don't have coolant filters? Just a random question.

More Power
04-17-2012, 08:55
The idea of a coolant filter has been around for a long time, generally, but only recently has its use on the Duramax entered the discussion. I suspect someone began selling a kit...

If you maintain your cooling system according to the owner's manual, you won't need a filter. I imagine a coolant filter would have merit on an over-the-road rig that accumulates many hundreds of thousands or perhaps a million miles. Not so much on a consumer-oriented automotive application.

For a Duramax, change the coolant every 5-7 years or 150,000 miles using a 50% Dex-Cool/distilled water solution. Flush the radiator every other coolant changeout. By that time, you may need to rebuild the radiator anyway. The left-side (driver's side) plastic tank on the radiator probably needs to be replaced at that point because of the higher heat (the left side is the hot side of the radiator) that side sees, which results in deteriorating plastic.

Jim

lmholmes11
04-18-2012, 07:38
Thanks for the reply Jim.

Like i said i have always been curious, but that does make sense why tractors have them and pick ups dont.