PDA

View Full Version : Lee Swanger Exhaust Manifold Adapters

6 2 Carl
04-18-2012, 16:56
Does anyone have a copy of the plans for the manifold adapters Lee Swanger had made up years ago?

I will be putting on a new exhaust on my 1987 pick up, and I'm looking to improve the flow.

Will the manifolds from 88 and up pickups fit in this truck without hitting anything? If so, I might go that route instead.

And lastly, has anyone found a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust package for the 82-87 pick up? All I can find is 2.25" systems.

Carl

6 2 Carl
04-18-2012, 16:58
Here is a picture of the adapter I'm talking about

john8662
04-19-2012, 07:06
I've got the plans, but not sure if he'd let me re-distrubute them in that way.

As an alternative. You could have the manifolds machined to accept the larger donut used on the 6.5TD.

I'm using one 6.2L manifold on my 82 drag truck and this is what I had done, don't forget to tell the machinist to leave you an appropriate ledge for the donut inlet ledge to bottom out on.

This gets you 2 1/16" out of the donut verses 1 7/8"

It does make a difference. On my truck I was seeing blueing on the manifold where the pipe connection was, after doing another manifold with the big donut, no more of that, and performance was better.

sctrailrider
04-19-2012, 11:07
I would like to find someone that has a "home made" set of manifolds for my 6.5 turbo build, I have a little more room in my 91 than some of the other later models do.

I have been in touch with the SC DOT about if it is legal to turn the pipe straight up out of the hood in this state, they said that they didn't see any thing wrong but they will find out for sure and let me know in a few days, I sure hope that I can as it will make things a lot easier for me....

If anyone knows where a set of manifolds are that need some R&R testing, let me know, I can't find a shop around me that will even talk about it much else try and build a set....

dixiepc
04-19-2012, 11:18
In this thread http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=5743
Dr. Lee said that he would be happy to email a dimensioned sketch to anyone who would want it. Maybe he will see this and give you the OK. I know that I am another one that would like to have this sketch.

dixiepc
04-25-2012, 16:48
Come on, somebody must have a copy of this dimensioned sketch that they would be willing to share. I saw more than one post where Dr. Lee said that he would send a copy to "anyone" that would email him, apparently he doesn't visit this site much anymore. If he was that willing to send it to anybody, I don't think that he would mind if someone that had it would share it with the rest of us.

phantom309
04-25-2012, 21:21
would the military hummer "headers" fit?

john8662
04-26-2012, 00:46
Had to boot up and old computer that had this on it. I figured it was in my email somewhere, wasn't.

dixiepc
04-26-2012, 06:41
John,

I really appreciate you going to all that trouble. I have been looking for this for a long time.
The way I see it is that you use RTV to seal the adapter to the manifold and the donut for the 2 1/2" pipe fits into the adapter as it would in the manifold.
Does that sound right?

Thanks again, Monty

john8662
04-26-2012, 08:11
Monty,

You're welcome.

As for the measurements, I haven't built one of these, I did the other by modifying the manifold itself.

I'll check what my measurements ended up being as I have a spare manifold that I did. The drawing shows 2 3/8" ID opening for the donut.

I think it needs some modification though, there needs to be seating groove for the metal donut retainer in the manifold.

I'm not sure what the next size donut (common) is that fits this?

dixiepc
04-26-2012, 10:12
John,

I have a 1985 CUCV engine in my 1992 Suburban. I am currently using the CUCV exhaust manifolds and they are made for 2" pipe. I have a set of manifolds, that I want to use, from a late 6.2 that was factory in a GMT- 400 Chevy truck and they are made for 2 1/4" pipe.

I am trying to use the later manifolds with 2 1/2" pipe without having to use a short piece of 2 1/4" first. I can't see how that I could modify the manifolds to work as they don't look like they have enough metal to work with.

Any advise would help.

Thanks, Monty

john8662
04-26-2012, 12:50
gotya,

Yeah, I used the manifolds like your CUCV engine had, I was happy to get to use the larger 2 1/4 pipe, cause that gave me over 2" ID on a turbo setup, pre turbo.

I'll have to look at the engine in the shop to see the manifolds you have. I picked up an 89 6.2 out of a GMT400 truck.

P.S. you should update your signature with your rigs details :)

dixiepc
04-26-2012, 14:37
John,

I will just take the drawing and change the dimensions to work with what I have.

I just tried to add my rig to my signature, hope it works.

Thanks again, Monty

arveetek
05-02-2012, 12:21
I had Lee's adapters made for my old 6.2L rig, around 11 years ago. I made my own exhaust by purchasing sections of straight pipe and mandrel-bent elbows. Summit racing is a good place to purchase such supplies. Then I cut and welded my exhaust myself, and ended up with a custom 2.5" exhaust system from the manifolds back.

Casey

82 BIGRED
12-16-2013, 21:34
Excuse my stupidity, but what do the Lee Swanger adapters do?