PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow Universal Tailpipe?

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
09-21-2005, 14:00
I want to install a magnaflow muffler on my 99 burb and then finish out with new pipe from there since the OEM tailpipe is 2.75". Magnaflow has 3" mandrel bent universal tailpipes. They list one part # for 96-98 and another part # for 99-03. I am confused in that a 99 has the same body style as the 96-98s. "Just Magnaflow" suggested that the listing was for pickups, not suburbans and wasn't sure what to tell me. They suggested I call Magnaflow directly to ask about this. Magnaflow suggested that the 96-98 would probably work but might need modification. Does anyone here know what the difference might be between the chassis on the 99 sub and the 99 pickup? Which one should I use?
Thanks!

TurboDiverArt
09-21-2005, 15:18
Actually, the stock tailpipe is 2.75" outer diameter, inner is about 2.65", even worse that you might think.

I just put a straight through muffler on my 99 burb. I put a Summit Racing 3" inner diameter, 24 inch long glass pack, $25. I love it. Not loud at all, in fact you need to have the windows down to hear the exhaust and it's barely noticeable, wife hasn

Aryeh Levy
09-25-2005, 18:04
I'm thinking of getting a new downpipe and just venting it to the side - towards under the passenger door area.

It's obviously not legal, but my engine's in tune, and there's no soot issues, so the spirit of the law would be obeyed... I'd just have to get a muffler to make it quiet, right?

TurboDiverArt
09-26-2005, 01:27
Originally posted by Aryeh Levy:
I'm thinking of getting a new downpipe and just venting it to the side - towards under the passenger door area.

It's obviously not legal, but my engine's in tune, and there's no soot issues, so the spirit of the law would be obeyed... I'd just have to get a muffler to make it quiet, right? To be legal the tailpipe must exit behind the rear door edge. That's why a side pipe exits in back right before the rear tire. The idea is to ensure no exhaust fumes enter the passenger compartment.

From a noise standpoint. The multiple curves of the tail pipe act as a resonator to quite the exhaust, probably as much or more than a straight through muffler.

Art.

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2005, 05:51
Many states categorize a turbo as an exhaust discharge silencing device (muffler). As long as specific db's aren't exceeded, a turbo and straight pipe may be perfectly legal. Check your state requirements.

65-f100
09-26-2005, 06:05
Aryeh Levy - I've got an extra downpipe I need to get rid of. I ordered one and then ended up ordering a whole system from SSDiesel. It has never been installed. Let me know if you're interested.

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
09-26-2005, 08:09
[quote]Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
[b]
I just put a straight through muffler on my 99 burb. I put a Summit Racing 3" inner diameter, 24 inch long glass pack, $25. I love it. Not loud at all, in fact you need to have the windows down to hear the exhaust and it's barely noticeable, wife hasn