PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leaks near tank, I need advice

G. Gearloose
09-22-2005, 04:29
Upon my '96 1500..

It appears I have a fuel leak in the fuel tank outlet area.

Rough ispection reveals corrosion of the lines and crimps on the hard/soft transitions.

I think the breach of containment is on a return line because I get a small puddle drip off the frame, but the engine hasn't sucked air.

I was most disappointed to find my factory manual useless because I didn't think to purchase the drivability and emissions volume, so drawings of what's under there are unavailable to me.

Has anybody been through this?

Is it easier to remove the 6' bed instead of dropping the tank?

Could I splice in steel brake line and a short segment of appropiate flexible lines?

Are Factory replacements the only way to go?

I ask because I need to get all my suplies before making it undrivable.

thanks for your time

More Power
09-22-2005, 06:58
You can use fuel-rated hose to slice into the steel fuel lines. Use good clamps, and make sure they're tight. Adding hoses and clamps increases the number of things to consider when troubleshooting a possible future leak (either air or fuel).

I've dropped a tank and I've lifted a bed to get to the fuel tank. It's a toss up as to which way is easier. Dealerships drop the tanks, but they have a vehicle lift and use a hydraulic transmission jack to support the tank.

Jim

tom.mcinerney
09-22-2005, 07:12
Gearloose--
lifting off the bed might disable the rig less for inspection.

The leak may be in the steel stub lines emanating from the pickup/level-sender. If so, may consider replacement of sender assy. Source first, as not cheap....inspect tank itself while at it. I replaced tank, sender and lines {brake lines too along frame simultaneous, since trapped/inaccessible}. If tank OK might consider trying a coat of epoxy on the rusted pickup section....it might offer a cure. I painted and RTV coated the new tank and pickup since i didn't like/want-repeat.

JohnC
09-22-2005, 07:20
What a coincidence! Mine started doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago. the leak is at the crimp on the return line. I loosened the fuel cap and the leak stopped.

Still haven't decided how best to deal with it, but most likely I'll try clamping the connection first. The crimp is completely rusted away.

Or, there's this '01 D-max I've been eyeing...

G. Gearloose
09-22-2005, 09:02
Good to hear I'm not the only one tiring..
doesn't help having a 6V53 opened up, and DSG gears & HO pump sitting on my bench for 18 months waiting for something NOT to break for a while.

Thank you all for the insight...that helps a lot.

I'l consider going in from the top and perhaps can catch and treat some other rotting components while the bed is off.