PDA

View Full Version : 250 hp 550 ft/lb p400 ?????

Vin82k3500
05-02-2012, 19:23
Ok why I am asking
I have an 82 1 ton srw I have had since I was 15 ok so 24 years well long story short I LOVE this truck its my favorite to drive and I have seen ads from places such as tonight on ss diesel supply where I can get a 250 hp 550 ft lb tourque p400 engine but I am seeing not for 4wd pickups WHY NOT I guess more detail would be nice i have sent them an email asking why for the time it would save me I would buy this engine for the advertised price with a new banks turbo system and a new intercooler and whatever I needed to have that muscle in my comfy nice riding easy to negotiate in tight spots and never requiring anything but engine maintenance and tires good ol classic I only haul 6 to 8 k and am usually driving as many as 2k miles empty to get a load so I like my fuel economy and a bigger truck would be stupid sorry for the gripe I want one of these if it is real I have gotton so many mixed messages I tried to get on ww willaims and couldnt find optimizer 6500 engines I am now on my second na 6.2 maybey I should have considered a turbo but I do want it to stay together I am new to this engine as far as the way I use this truck but I got 4 years out of a 4.3 gas v6 beating it like I caught it breaking into my house I have not abused it since I put the 6.2 in last fall and im swapping it cause I had a catastrophe with it last weekend I want to by a new engine and really dont want to consider a 454 I would go back to a 4.3 over that I think I really like the 6.2 if I can keep it together for 300k would be nice or even 200 k without having the truck down for a swap:confused:

Vin82k3500
05-03-2012, 03:41
Ok why I am asking
I have an 82 1 ton srw I have had since I was 15 ok so 24 years well long story short I LOVE this truck its my favorite to drive and I have seen ads from places such as tonight on ss diesel supply where I can get a 250 hp 550 ft lb tourque p400 engine but I am seeing not for 4wd pickups WHY NOT I guess more detail would be nice i have sent them an email asking why for the time it would save me I would buy this engine for the advertised price with a new banks turbo system and a new intercooler and whatever I needed to have that muscle in my comfy nice riding easy to negotiate in tight spots and never requiring anything but engine maintenance and tires good ol classic I only haul 6 to 8 k and am usually driving as many as 2k miles empty to get a load so I like my fuel economy and a bigger truck would be stupid sorry for the gripe I want one of these if it is real I have gotton so many mixed messages I tried to get on ww willaims and couldnt find optimizer 6500 engines I am now on my second na 6.2 maybey I should have considered a turbo but I do want it to stay together I am new to this engine as far as the way I use this truck but I got 4 years out of a 4.3 gas v6 beating it like I caught it breaking into my house I have not abused it since I put the 6.2 in last fall and im swapping it cause I had a catastrophe with it last weekend I want to by a new engine and really dont want to consider a 454 I would go back to a 4.3 over that I think I really like the 6.2 if I can keep it together for 300k would be nice or even 200 k without having the truck down for a swap:confused:
trying penninsular engines today

DieselDavy
05-03-2012, 08:13
There are a few people here who have direct experience with this motor. I'm sure they will chime in as soon as they see it! Lets keep it current until they notice it.
All I've read about it here is positive.
Dave

Vin82k3500
05-03-2012, 18:59
thanks for the reply I am wanting to get one for my truck as a repower if its what they advertise it will be all I need in this truck one of penninsular diesels techs said the skirts are too high for my frame so I am hoping to find out if anyone else is using one of these:confused:

Yukon6.2
05-03-2012, 21:14
Hi
I have the same basic truck as yours,and from what i have read in the past there shouldn't be any clearance issues.You could always run a mild lift.I know if money was no object i would put one of the new ones in mine.
Have Fun
Thomas

Robyn
05-04-2012, 06:17
The issue with fitting the "P400" into a 4x4 is that the oil pan on the P400 is full length instead of the rear sump like your 6.2

If your truck has enough lift that the pan will stay above the front differential far enough that it will not hit under hard bouncing it should work fine.

The basic engine is identical to the original 6.2 and 6.5 engines.

There was one fellow here at TDP that modified a factory pan to fit the P400

He made a new pan rail that would fit on the new lower skirt of the engine, welded that to the original pan and then made a new oil pickup tube.

If you have a stock height truck then the Optimizer 6500 might be a better choice.
The optimizer is the updated block but does not have the one piece main caps and girdle assembly along with the new cast aluminum pan that the P400 does.

Good luck

Missy

Yukon6.2
05-04-2012, 21:31
Hi
I belive the one that got the modified pan went into a truck with IFS.
Do you have a engine in your truck now?If not i could measure the distance's on mine.
Thomas

bshull
05-04-2012, 22:17
I have a p400 in my 95 burb with 4X4. I ordered the engine from peninsular, they modified the oil pan to fit 4X4 applications. I was told they have a jig to hold the pan while they cut it and weld as needed. It looked good when it arrived and so far, no leaks 15,000 miles. The oil pan is rigid (not tin type) and probably adds some support to the bottom end of the engine.

As for the 250 horse/ 550 ftlb, if you use your stock pump at stock settings, stock turbo settings, stock exhaust and the other stuff stock, you will get stock horsepower.

This engine is capable of surviving higher levels of horsepower and torque but you will need to feed it accordingly to get the levels you want.

I went with a heath tune, ATT turbo, S&B airfilter, and 4 in exhaust. I have no idea as to the horsepower/torque but I can feel that it is producing more power than the factory setup. Now if I can keep my foot out of it I might be able to get better MPG. I stuck with factory compression ratios as I do not tow, my burb is a highway queen and if I hooked up a trailer it would probably not know what to do. :-)

If you need more power I suggest 18 to 1 compression with compensations for cold weather starting, better turbo to supply higher boost pressure and make sure your fuel system is capable of the additional fuel needed.

If you like your truck and want a new engine, you can't go wrong with a P-400

Brian

More Power
05-05-2012, 12:56
Any vendor that advertises 250 horse/ 550 ftlb really needs to provide some verifiable engine/chassis dyno graphs.

Is a 250-hp (at the crank or rearwheel) P400 capable of 550 lb-ft? ..... I'd need to see it... along with a list of engine setup requirements.

Jim

Vin82k3500
05-07-2012, 16:20
Ok mine is a solid front axle dana 60 it has an oversized frame from a cab and chassis wich was cut and fitted as a pickup I have done this work myself as for lift I have removed the lift it is stock hieght and it actually sits lower than my wifes stock 95 k1500 at least the drivers seat is much lower so no lift I saw 3 p400 engines with modified oild pans these wer the only ones i say and they were rear sump as for oild pan clearance there is nearly a foot from anything to my oil pan and the running gear is right on the engine and several inches away I have been told I could easily put a cummins in it but i have no interest in that swap at all. I ran a v6 for 6 years trouble free last fall I swapped it for an 82 c code 6.2 and it was very good till the rear main seal failed as daily driving it was awesome much better than the v6 but towing it fell short guess this is why i need a turbo after all I regeard from 3.73s to 4.10s and stepped down from 265s to 245s this helped towing power alot just hurt comfortable cruising speed a little but the darn thing got awesome mileage so im swapping in annother 6.2 since I had a rear main seal failure that turned catastrophic, NOTE TO SELF NEVER LEND YOUR TRUCK OUT TO A JOKER WHO DOES NOT APRECIATE A CLASSIC !!!!! I have emailed back and forth with Walt at ss diesel supply who says with the right pump and turboand of course breathing meaning intake and exhaust the engine can make 340 hp and 650 lb/ft of tourue reliably he said the figures are flywheel Im NOT LOOKING FOR THAT MUCH POWER just around 450 ft/lbs maybe 160 to 190 hp to boot and not blow up hauling my car trailer from florida to maine I got a Banks system and a gm system laying around now I also have a db2 4911 pump and a ds4 cant remember the numbers now there at my shop cause I have a larger db2 than the 4911 also im not trying to win races or local pulling events I just want the truck to be what it was with the v6 and the n/a wich was 20+ mpg pulling an empty trailer never really checked loaded probably 10 to 14 depending on speed elements and grades 200 to 300 miles on a tank loaded and thats only a 20 gallon tank 400 to 500 on the same tank empty to make 450 to 500 and not have a hand grenade in a box is all I expect I have seriously considered rebuilding my 6.2 block with 6.5 heads and diamond or t precups a 4911 pump an intercooler I have upgraded the waterpump radiator and t stat crossover form a late 90s 6.5 td I would get the stud kits and gridle kit as well the whole main support system is what has my eye on the p400 I have 4 inch pipe feeding 6 inch stacks no mufflers so no exhaust restriction the maine thing I am looking at is piece of mind and a warranty with a crate engine that I will not get with a rebuild for what they have quoted me for a long block and my fantacy 6.2/6.5 hybrid engine the difference is only 900 dollars my time is well worth the 900 dollars I would save rebiulding my engine to the specs I wanted to build it to for durabillity but if the engine is not what they say it is hmm I may have to go back to the dark side with this truck thanks for all input.

Vin82k3500
05-07-2012, 16:29
And Yes I love the truck I cant get used to annother one its so much more versitle than my newer ones if the longblock from penninsular diesel is not gonna fair I WILL swap in a Duramax I just did one for A buddy in an 86 was not much bigger of a deal than my swap just that its not plug and play but with a youtube video I got it running much quicker than my 6.2

Vin82k3500
05-07-2012, 16:30
And Yes I love the truck I cant get used to annother one its so much more versitle than my newer ones if the longblock from penninsular diesel is not gonna fair I WILL swap in a Duramax I just did one for A buddy in an 86 was not much bigger of a deal than my swap just that its not plug and play but with a youtube video I got it running much quicker than my 6.2
I just dont want a mongrel they are hard to get parts for

Vin82k3500
05-07-2012, 17:43
one more thing trying to make sure I have covered all who have posted cold starts are a nessecity here at the base of mt katahdin we have only 2 seasons summer and winter both mild but real and winter does get cold we get snow 6 months out of the year so I dont think an 18 to 1 idi would be a practical daily drivereven in the mid of summer we see night temps plummet in the 30s

JetBoater
05-08-2012, 08:48
When my P400 went into service, my new injection pump was turned up approx 25% to feed the marine injectors with sufficient fuel. The old GM8 turbo is running 14 lbs of boost... nothing too dramatic. It dyno'd at 215 hp/ 475 ft/lb of torque at the rear wheels when it was still fresh.

I have enough power to pull the camper and boat up the hills and more than enough when the truck is free of this burden in the winter. The engine does generate a lot of heat when it is working hard... so ensure you have a good 4 core rad, dual thermostats and suitable fan to pull the air through.

Just watch your temps if you work your truck hard like I do. She heats up very fast while pulling up those long steep grades but she also cools down just as quick when going down the backside of those mountain passes.

I also added an intercooler to cool the ingested air and run a 4" exhaust past the 3" down pipe to ease the breathing.

I have been running this powerplant since April 2008 and it has proven to be reliable and deliver power when needed. It is nice to have confidence that your tow rig won't fail when your dragging your toys away from home. Downtime and vacation do not mix. :cool:

I have never regretted spending the $$ on that engine, the GEP boys did a good job bullet-proofing this engine to prevent failure. It's no Duramax, but does everything I require.

Vin82k3500
05-08-2012, 15:19
Thank You Jet Boater this is what I wanted to hear those GEP guys told me I would not be dissapionted and what your getting at the rear wheels is what I wanted at the flywheel so I am Impressed to say the least I would have been happy with 160 rwhp and 330 rw ft/lb of torque I am running a manual nv4500 what are you running for a tranny I am also running 4.10s now I have to regear from the 3.73s from my gas job cause od was to high at times but at those times 3 was just to low to keep it were i wanted to be where with the gasser I could wind the p!ss out of it in 3rd all day long but my 6.2 does a real nice job in od with the 4.10s when im loaded your dyno numbers are what I am after I wasnt planning on running marine injectors though I had a gm 8 set up dual t stats 130 gpm water pump and the 4 core radiator along with a 7 blade fan on my 6.2 that just failed I believe failure was not the engines fault some one swapped a gasser flywheel while serviceing my clutch and well you can probably guess what happened the waste gate is broken open so i really wasnt getting much boost I too have 3 inch downpipe feeding 4 inch pipe but goes to a 6 inch adapter to a tee and dual mitre cut 6 inch stackes in the bed helps me breath when im hooking up my trailer and keeps goods clean thanks again I think sometimes others are misled with what I do with this truck my 98 12 valve cummins put less to the ground then your 93 p400 is putting to the ground and it was NOT a dually and not running 10 ply tires those factors DO affect what you put to the ground I have experimented my 06 lly d max was putting to the ground not much more than what your doing and again not a dually and not 10 ply tires so I am very pleased I am not looking to have the fastest truck or the strongest puller just want that power in the only truck I want to keep out of 3:cool:

Vin82k3500
05-08-2012, 15:23
Also I measured today there is nothing within 13 inches of my engine no crossmember or suspension crossmember is ahead of crank pullyfront diff is 13 inches below pan so it looks to me no clearance issues for a p400

JetBoater
05-09-2012, 06:00
Hi Vin82k3500,
I have the standard 4L80E with just over 191,000 on it right now. The truck has 4.10's and slightly taller profile tires than stock.

Hope that helps... good luck with your project.

Robyn
05-09-2012, 14:25
The reason that they say "Not for 4x4" is simply to cover their BUTT's
Some rigs will accept the P400 right from the box and some will not.

The older rigs with the straight axle and some lift are fine, the IFS trucks that are stock will not allow the P400 without serious mods to the pan.

Missy

Vin82k3500
05-09-2012, 16:36
I see thanks Im really feeling good gonna sell my older stuff I got laying around now and look forward to my next engine being a p400 I figured that it was covering their buts and that since my truck is over 30 years old and is on a custom made chassis they are not familliar with it and knowing your getting those figures through a 4l80e I know I will have no issues at all with this engine since I am running an nv4500 5 speed I may even be able to go back to 3.73s

Vin82k3500
05-09-2012, 16:37
mine is not lifted but is built on an oversize frame

Yukon6.2
05-09-2012, 23:02
I told my truck yours was getting the p400
now it's jealous;)
Enjoy
Thomas

greatwhite
05-10-2012, 04:09
You can't go wrong with a P400, but the 6500 Optimizer is no slouch either.

After popping my 599 block the first day out, I had an Optimizer installed in Ellensberg. We then proceeded to continue with this trip (west to east):

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/gr8twhite/Maps/comx-gander-1-1.jpg

Hauling this:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/gr8twhite/1237d529-1.jpg

Handled it just fine.

I run a turbo master (GM8), Heath tune and a 4" exhaust.

I would have gone for a P400 though, if time had permitted. We were on a schedule (for work) and a P400 wouldn't have been ready for shipping until about two months too late.

Still, the 6500 has got enough "poop" to get it done.....and get it done well.

Vin82k3500
05-10-2012, 04:35
this makes me feel better I considered both I have the time to wait this little 6.2 I just put in is running like a dream so I will keep easy on it till I get my new power plant for it my understanding is the power of the optimizer and p400 is the same but the p400 has the extra suport on the bottom end that is what has me wanting that one so much I am getting excited now as for my buds some wonder why I waste my time with this old truck but its so clean and unmolested and there few and far around here now and to have this with still an old school diesel set up with a little more modern power Now thats what Im talking about there is nothing like it around here and I really like the truck.

Vin82k3500
05-10-2012, 04:36
you passed through my area Great White