PDA

View Full Version : Intake Air Temp Sensor Affect Timing?

joed
02-02-2004, 07:12
With the colder weather, lately I've noticed my truck has more "rattle" while cruising, like the timing is advanced. Does the intake air temp sensor affect this? At the same time, the throttle/boost response doesn't seem to be as good. I suppose having the intercooler affects this as well, but could my sensor be bad?

On a side, possibly related note, I also notice quite a bit of oil in my intake. I took the sensor out and oil was coating it. Maybe the combo of oil and colder air is coating the sensor making it a provide a false reading? I've already replaced the CDR, so maybe my turbo bearings are going (I'll check that).

Is that much oil in the intake normal?

Any thought. Thanks. Joe.

kowsoc
02-03-2004, 05:23
Is your engine coolant temperature normal? The coolant temp sensor will advance timing and idle speed. Engine temperature is important for longer engine life. Change your thermostat if you are not getting full operating temps. I also use a winter front when temps are below freezing.

joed
02-03-2004, 06:08
Thanks for the suggestion.

I've actually already replaced the coolant temp sensor as my glow times were getting kind of flaky. Coolant temps seem normal - usually run 190-195.

It doesn't seem to do it all the time, which makes me think it's some eletrical glitch. It's almost like the fuel rate isn't strong enough to deliver the boost at lower rpms.

Anyway, I'll keep searching...any other thoughts are appreciated.

Joe.