PDA

View Full Version : How to make custom dash plate for '94

lilymonster
05-03-2012, 07:53
I am in the process of adding gauges to my '94 blazer 6.5. What I want to do is eliminate the stupid factory radio and then relocate the hvac panel to the center dash area under the two vents. This will leave a large void that I intend to be my "canvas" for creating a gauge area. I have 4 gauges that I am going to install there, boost, egt, tach, and temp. My question is, I need to make 2 custom dash plates/panels. 1 "din size" to go in the center of the dash with a rectangle hole in it to relocate/mount the hvac unit. And the other to basically cover the area where the gauges are to go and have the necessary 2 1/16 holes pre-cut. I have made rough panels in the past on various race car projects using dremel tools, sawzalls, etc, but I want this one to have a much cleaner, precise look to it. Basically does anyone know who I could send specs/plans to who has a professional metal working machine who could fabricate these panels out of alluminum? What about plastic? I'd be find with hard plastic too. Is there such a service online or do I need to find a local machine type shop? Let me know if you guys have any ideas for me. Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2012, 10:08
Welcome aboard!

Not too difficult. Make a cardboard template and take it to any local machine shop. They should be able to fab it up for you. They should also be able to "punch" the gage holes, which is a LOT more neat/precise than scroll/hole saw. You may also want to add a row of holes for switches, for various uses later on. There should be plenty room for that. Choose the switch type(s) you want, and fill the hole with a plug or a switch (used or not).

DennisG01
05-03-2012, 14:24
In the boating world, having new dash panels made is somewhat commonplace. Check out tecnografic.com. There's another one I can refer you to, as well - I just have to find the contact info. But, these guys can make whatever size/color you want and pop in holes for gauges/switches wherever you want. Even label it.

phantom309
05-03-2012, 19:20
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/wtfuashols123/guagepod.jpg?t=1336097968

I also have a 94,. and i thought about hanging the pod off the end of the dash,..3 guages tho,.

Nick

jhornsby3
05-04-2012, 08:51
That would be a great place to mount one of these.

lilymonster
05-06-2012, 06:19
As it turned out this weekend I couldn't resist my urges and ended up making my own plate as I've done in the past. Yup, the harbor frieight crappy hole saws came out, air shears, grinder, etc. I actually used an alluminium YIELD street sign I found out in back of the garage! Decent gauge metal for an amatuer like me to work with. Im still working on it, its roughed in and I have my isspro turbocator (3 inch boost/egt combo gauge) mounted in there and it looks nice. Very very nice gauge by the way, I'd recommend it if anyone is in the market. I'll get some pics soon once its painted up and fully installed. I think its actually going to look pretty decent! And the best part of all..... free.

DennisG01
05-06-2012, 07:03
Can't argue with free! Definitely show us the pics!

woodwright
05-21-2012, 18:45
I realize this is a couple of weeks old, but this is the first time I've sen it. I have access to a waterjet and can cut whatever you need. If we can come up with a design that several people are interested in, They would be alot cheaper per panel. Heres one I designed for my 70.
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq197/woodwright1/IMG_20120413_192447.jpg
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq197/woodwright1/IMG_20120420_184339.jpg