PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 injector angle

Davis
05-04-2012, 03:46
What year did the injectors angles change on the 6.2 in reference to being the same as the 6.5 engine ? I know I have read it hear but cant find that info. Thanks Davis

Robyn
05-04-2012, 06:05
91 production could be either way.
The 92 6.5 engines for sure had the different heads, and the 6.2 engines would have had the same stuff.

Things like the one piece rear main seal, injector angle and oil pans that were modified for the IFS front end (4x4) were some of the things they did all around the same time.

These changes could have happened even in 1990.

Sadly at this late date, what with all the changes that can happen to vehicles that are in service, you can't be sure of what you will find on a particular rig.

92 and 9i3 were the only years that the 6.2 and 6.5 were available at the same time except possibly the MIL stuff.

Replacement engines that were still in the pipeline would have been available a little later, but ??????????.

Hope this helps some.

Missy

Davis
05-04-2012, 07:29
Thanks Robyn ,
There is a 6.2 engine in my hometown that is for sale. I have a post on the 6.5 forum for blowed head gasket as it turns out you were right should have gotten another set of heads to start with. But now I have machine work involved on both but now the machinist says that one head has to many cracks in the seat and into the runners and that I should not use that one. So I was going to use the heads off this 6.2 engine for trying to save money providing that there will be no other bad effects from doing that . And as long as the injector angles are right. If they will work i would probably use both heads from the 6.2 so they will be a matched set.
Have you ever heard of anyone using the 6.2 heads on a 6.5 with success ?

Robyn
05-04-2012, 12:11
As long as the injector angle is correct and the pre cups are all the same on both heads, they will do fine.

If the injector angle is wrong, then the lines will likely hit the turbo exhaust manifold.

Missy

Davis
05-04-2012, 18:15
Thanks Robyn ,
I was hoping that it would be the later model engine with a 599 block . As it turned out I went and looked at it today and it is a 82-84 engine with an egr and a fuel filter mounted to the intake so I knew what era it was from since I had owned some of those year trucks. And that would not be a good donor for my 6.5td.