PDA

View Full Version : Heath Camshaft HP #3 Experiences

lilymonster
05-06-2012, 11:05
Hey guys, I looked around a bit and searched on this forum for "Heath Camshaft" and nothing was found. Very surprised that no one has discussed this on here yet. I have a '94 Blazer 6.5 currently stock. I am going through in my head, like so many others have I'm sure, what the best overall plan for achieving solid reliable power (GOOD power) from my 6.5. Has anyone followed Bill Heath's advise and gone with any of his upgraded Cams? I spoke with Bill on the phone and I could tell I was dealing with a very reputable individual who is serious about and loves these vehicles/engine and really knows his stuff. He has years and years of experience.

He feels that the camshaft he sells is absolutely a game changer and truly takes the power output up to a different world than what you get just doing the popular bolt ons like chip, exhaust, etc. He says its a HUGE difference and it takes you up to a level comparable with duramax, etc. I also own a duramax truck so I realize the 6.5 is no duramax and so I don't expect it to perform 100% like one (especially a modified one). I'm realistic and not a dreamer. Can anyone speak about first hand experience with this type of set up with the Heath Cam used in conjunction with big exhaust, chip, hd lift pump, ho injectors, upgrade hi-capacity cooling system, etc etc as Bill recommends?

Of course I trust Bill and can tell he is an experienced no nonsense type of guy and that it will do what he says it does, however I was just wanting to hear from someone else who has done this set up to and hear about their first hand experience.

By the way, here is the link to the Heath website where it shows this cam:

http://store.heathdiesel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48&products_id=1213

Thanks for your input/experiences/thoughts! Im excited to get this motor performing and appreciate if you could share your input

Jeff

lilymonster
05-10-2012, 14:45
I'm very surprised that no one out there in 6.5 Diesel land has tried this Camshaft upgrade from Heath. But, I guess it is a relatively new offering from Heath. So how about this.... I'm going to buy it on a whim and see how it goes. Heath seems extremely confident in it and is not shy to speak of the tremendous results they have had with it, so I am going to go for it. I'll report back when the job is completed. So wish me luck. -Jeff:)

DmaxMaverick
05-10-2012, 15:16
Silence speaks louder than words.......

There's a reason for the silence. It seems no one here has tried one. I haven't. For this cam to meet the claims, he would have had to hit on a grind we haven't tried over the last 3 decades. By we, I mean me, numerous TDP members, Crane, Isky, and a few I don't recall offhand. We've all gone the same route, and ended up at the same destination..... OEM grind cams. One thing, I think, that has been seen by all is, when the profile characteristics change, it locks the cam to a very specific RPM and load range, with very little comfort or performance outside that. For a very long time now, I've categorized "new", "improved", or "more power" cam claims along with the "80 HP injectors". You just can't get there from here. That's a lot of money for a "claim". I can get any custom cam regrind for $150. A new profile cut from a blank is more, of course, but not that much more. $700 + core (which usually means REgrind, not new), plus a LOT more for the "other" stuff to make the cam work, which includes a 4,800 RPM redline. Modest Duramax power and reliability can be had with several other methods, tried and true.

KrisL
05-10-2012, 19:15
While I haven't run the cam that Heath makes, I did have a different cam in my engine at one point. Now my engine is an 18to1 6.5 with a mech pump. So being a low comp engine it can be temperamental to start when cold but with the reground cam is was a bear to start. It would smoke out half my neighborhood and I had to let the truck just sit and idle to warm up for a good 15 minutes or so. Once warmed up it started great. Drivablebility was another issue, the engine liked a god load on it and mid to high rpm range. Anything over 2500 and you where off to the races. Truck was very fast but it didn't like to just cruise along. So when I rebuilt the engine due to a broken stock crankshaft I put a stock cam back in, did stay low comp too. Truck is very much more useable now, it starts waaay better, cruises along nicely at any speed you care to pick. It's just an all round better running setup with the stock cam. Yes it's not as fast but I'm not building a drag racing truck. I'm building a nice all purpose weekend rig.

Now if you are building something to do nothing but go fast, then I would say to get a different cam because it really does wake the engine up a lot. It's just too bad it has a such a narrow rpm range it likes to be in.

Hope this helps you.

DaveBr
05-10-2012, 20:03
I'm very surprised that no one out there in 6.5 Diesel land has tried this Camshaft upgrade from Heath. But, I guess it is a relatively new offering from Heath. So how about this.... I'm going to buy it on a whim and see how it goes. Heath seems extremely confident in it and is not shy to speak of the tremendous results they have had with it, so I am going to go for it. I'll report back when the job is completed. So wish me luck. -Jeff:)

Let us know how it works for you. The best test is to install the cam first before not with any other upgrades so you can tell if you got some bang for your buck.

lilymonster
05-17-2012, 19:20
Ok, I appreciate all your advice and it definetly makes sense. Its crazy that I have looked on 4 different diesel forums and not a single person has installed and reported on this camshaft. Not one review. So Im glad that at least we have opened up this discussion.

Heath tells me that this cam does NOT exhibit any of these underisrable traits that you are speaking of. And that it is a very smooth everyday drivable set up and that it makes solid power throughout the RPM range. He said that typically max rpm is set at 4000, NOT 4800, FYI. He says it has a virtually smoke free operation and that cold starting is not affected.
Am I fooling to believe all these claims? I know Heath is a very reputable name in the world of the 6.5 diesels and has been at this a long time. Have a lot of your found that his products don't do what he says?

He says with his cam, PROM, exhaust, turbo master, bosch ho injectors, and proper cooling upgrades, etc that this will make 400HP.

Is Heath credible or am I being sold a dream?

lilymonster
05-17-2012, 19:31
Let us know how it works for you. The best test is to install the cam first before not with any other upgrades so you can tell if you got some bang for your buck.

One other thing.... Heath claims on a stock engine it will add about 70HP. He says he has a stock vehicle there at his shop (that he bought new actually) and that he uses it for testing this type of thing. And that they installed this cam in this particular truck and did extensive testing at establish this.

He also said when combined with his cam-specific prom programming, hd lift pump, TM, exhaust, etc, etc. it adds over 100HP. So the whole bang for your buck thing is not linear.... it adds more on a modified engine.

Thoughts?

DmaxMaverick
05-17-2012, 19:51
....He says with his cam, PROM, exhaust, turbo master, bosch ho injectors, and proper cooling upgrades, etc that this will make 400HP.

Is Heath credible or am I being sold a dream?

That's a pretty tall claim. There's only one seller who ever reached that far, successfully. Even they backed down the numbers for reliability. These were engines designed for marine use, had an OEM cam, and a purpose-built DB4 mechanical pump (a stock pump, DB or DS, won't deliver enough fuel for nearly that much power). I suppose you can just label it "Type R" and it'll work as advertised. His website advertisement for this package clearly stated "4800 RPM", the reason I mentioned it. If it were 4000, I'd likely have not brought it up, as it's quite common. If you want longevity, steer clear from this one. "Proper cooling upgrades", in this case, will have to include a large body of water, such as a lake or ocean, to achieve the claims for more than one really fun weekend. Heath has done some really good things for Diesel heads, and at the same time, had a few run in the opposite direction. You're "being sold a dream", only if you've already sent the cash. If you were building a P400, perhaps you could push it that far. In any case, a 6.5L out of the box, especially a 19 year old box, just won't hold together asking that much. Of this, I have no doubt. There are other discussion points I haven't brought up, but this is enough for now.

DmaxMaverick
05-17-2012, 20:11
I have to say.........

I just went to the site again and read over that add very carefully. Had I stumbled on this on my own (accidentally), I would have chuckled a bit, and moved on. Typo's aside (still says 4800 RPM limit, among several others), it's still almost laughable (well...not really almost).

Sorry Bill, I think you stepped in something with this one. You just can't get there from here.

Also....
Regarding the "Type R" reference in my previous post, it's a common thing with the Japanese power upfitters (R = Rice, affectionately). Take all the upgrade parts, add up all the individual HP claims, and that's what you'll get if you install all of them. That's why we have all these 10,000 HP Accords driving around on our streets. It's true, just ask them.

DaveBr
05-17-2012, 20:37
One other thing.... Heath claims on a stock engine it will add about 70HP. He says he has a stock vehicle there at his shop (that he bought new actually) and that he uses it for testing this type of thing. And that they installed this cam in this particular truck and did extensive testing at establish this.

He also said when combined with his cam-specific prom programming, hd lift pump, TM, exhaust, etc, etc. it adds over 100HP. So the whole bang for your buck thing is not linear.... it adds more on a modified engine.

Thoughts?

Claims vs reality. I would like to see someone post real dyno results. 70 hp for one peice? I have an SSD ECM and other upgrades and I know I never gained 70 hp even though the ECM alone is advertised at 80hp increase.

High flow injectors are another one. Do a search on this site and see the pros and cons that have been hashed over here. I have never seen a before and after dyno run posted by anyone anywhere. If there is any gain you would think someone would post results somewhere?

Certain people advertise 40 hp gain just with hi-flow injectors. If only it were true.

lilymonster
05-18-2012, 08:40
Well as luck would have it I blew up my STOCK motor last night towing my FRIEND'S boat. So no cam for me for now. Once I get this thing back one the road, I am still intending to build it up.... but until then, I guess the validity of this cam thing will be a mystery

john8662
05-18-2012, 12:08
I really like Bill's claims on HP. Someone needs to give him a big wig, big red nose, and some face paint and call him a clown.

Just like his Bonneville truck that makes 500HP, no engine dyno time, no chassis dyno time, just an improperly calibrated butt dyno.

consaka
09-12-2016, 12:16
I really like Bill's claims on HP. Someone needs to give him a big wig, big red nose, and some face paint and call him a clown.

Just like his Bonneville truck that makes 500HP, no engine dyno time, no chassis dyno time, just an improperly calibrated butt dyno.

I have to agree that without dyno numbers it is kinda suspect. However my truck can't go that fast and I don't see you offering to race him.
I don't see anyone debating his record run. I disagree with some of his theory and doubt his engine he used would last long in everyday work environment which means it is pretty worthless to me. That being said I'd love to do my own build and beat his record. Had I the finances I'd actually attempt it. I hit 120 in my '83 chevy van which is about the max the gearing will support to 4000 RPM. And it's not light. Honestly getting his to turn 5k was probably the biggest help with weight reductions and aerodynamics following behind. Oh and his gearing change.

john8662
09-12-2016, 12:57
I had started building a land speed truck but abandoned it because it's too much trouble to build something for a race that happens once per year just to call out someone's lies.

Heath has some good things, but when it comes to HP/TQ claims none of it can be believed.

I've been 156 MPH in the 82 brick down the interstate (GPS and RPM reference one another) here locally with a mere 297 HP at the wheels at the time, truck weighs 4100 lbs. With current gearing I could go faster but not worth the risk with current safety (lack there of) equipment.

Kennedy
09-12-2016, 14:37
RE HP claims:

Walking Eagle (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Walking+Eagle&defid=7672245)
Allegedly an old Native American term for a bird so full of sh*t it can no longer fly.

convert2diesel
09-12-2016, 20:41
Remember talking to Jamie (Diesel Depot) after Bill's 09 Bonneville run of 153mph and also Gale Banks run at 167. Considering the Dmax was pumping out close to twice the HP we discussed the possibility that they were both approaching the true "Hull Speed" of the trucks.

Only a 14 MPH difference between the two trucks. Even though the Banks truck was considerably lighter, smaller and was loaded with aerodynamic mods there's no getting around frontal area. See this a lot at the Reno air races. There is a point that HP no longer has any effect on top speed. It's all aerodynamics.

Kudos has to go out to Bill though, considering he achieved his 153 mph for a mere fraction of the cost that went into Gales truck.

Bill