PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used GM

gary_lucas
05-07-2012, 18:28
Hi, apologies if this is the wrong forum. Please point me at the correct forum and I'll move over there.

I'm looking to purchase a used truck, primarily for hauling my trailer, right now it's a 3500 pound folding trailer.

Next year it will be a 7 or 8 thousand pound Airstream. Previously I was using my Toyota 4runner and even with the 3500 lb trailer it's seriously lacking.

I'm looking at a 2004 Sierra 2500HD SLT, their asking 19,900, it's got 180Km on it (about 112,000 miles)

I was out and took a look at it on Sunday, my immediate concern was rust on the undercarriage, the vehicle comes from Alberta, they use salt on the roads. After asking around I've been told that unless it's unbelievably bad it's not worth worrying about, just pressure wash and apply por-15.

I'm having a pre-purchase mechanical inspection done tomorrow, the dealer had the carproof handy and it showed no accidents.

What i'm wondering about is, what am I getting myself into. I've never been particularly handy, assuming it's currently in good condition, what sort of maintenance should I be expecting? What jobs should I as an inexperienced mechanic tackle, and what should I leave to the professionals.

I do have a good mechanic that I trust, so I'm happy about that.

Any specific to this year or model that I should look out for? Any modifications I can make to improve my vehicle life?

Thank you all,

Gary Lucas

---
edit wrong forum, how do I delete / move?
Just read the bottom sticky.

Yukon6.2
05-07-2012, 19:18
Hi
Others that own similer trucks will probly chime in.
I'm assuming it's a diesel so find out if the injectors have been changed,and if it was done right.To get hit with an injector problem,and the cost of having them done right is big money.
Otherwise i don't think their are any glaring things to worry about.Spend a few hours here searching and reading.
Run synthetic's,add a extra fuel filter Kennedy Diesel has a great kit.
Good Luck
Thomas

gary_lucas
05-08-2012, 19:46
Well the pre-inspection sounded good, until I asked about compression and injection and was met with: Oh, our pre-inspection is only surface, we don't hook it up or test any of that.

So I got them to do that (more $$) and so far they haven't been able to get back to me, IE they found something, But aren't sure what it means...

Might have been a case where the original owner had the injection problems that these trucks are known for, had it fixed and the history shows the codes still.

I'll find out tomorow.

The dealer has a 2006 with 145k on it, but $6k more as well, if this one turns out to be problematic I'll either check out the 2k6 or see if the dealer will give me an additional 3k off the price to make up for the imminent work.

I'm given to understand that the '06's are pretty much bombproof?

Thanks much,

Once I get the truck (Whichever one I get) I'll definitly be doing all the fluids. Yukon6.2 did you mean to say 'Add a 2nd fuel filter'? Do you have a link as to how I'd go about doing that?

Gary

Yukon6.2
05-09-2012, 22:53
Hi Gary
If i could add a link i would,i'm lucky to be able respond in forum's.Computers and me arn't from the same planet:D.
Anyhow if you look at the sponsers on this site you should find Kennedy Diesel.He is an Owner Operator of a shop that keeps finding ways to make the GM diesel a better truck.
Another thought might be to shop over the border,i know up here comperable trucks in Alaska cost a few thousand less then in the Yukon.
Anyhow good luck and enjoy the hunt.
Thomas

gary_lucas
05-10-2012, 08:02
As it turned out, the diagnostics came up fine (with the exception of stuff that's pretty normal).

Right ball joint is needs doing, computer either needs a reflash or egr solonoid needs replacing, they weren't sure.

Truck runs nicely, even wife is liking it. Got her to drive it around the parking lot.

It's got an edge unit already built in.

I've got allot of learning to do :)