PDA

View Full Version : high output alternator

ajg6989
05-11-2012, 11:37
My 86 C 20 Suburban has the factory 78mp alternator which is kind of low output with some additions. I tried the 108amp factory alternator but it is too large to fit. Is there any way to modify the bracket or is there a drop in alternator that will fit? The 108amp was posted as fitting but it is 1cm too big in diameter and the top adjustment screw is too big for the slot. I am kind of worried about ordering one online that says it will fit and then it wont.

sholsten
04-27-2016, 03:36
I wish this had been answered. I want to use a bigger alternator on my '90

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2016, 06:10
It's 4 years old. Not sure how I missed it, but I would have answered it.

www.alternatorparts.com

I've used this company for years. You can get a higher output alternator in any size, so no need to accommodate larger if you don't want to. I've bought about 4 alternators from them over the years for different vehicles. I have one in my 2001 still going strong after about 10 years of heavy use. Their starters, everything from lawn mowers to old tractors, are top notch, too. If you're not sure exactly what you need, call them.

sholsten
04-27-2016, 06:29
Thanks, I'll check into them after I get up later.

Dvldog8793
04-27-2016, 06:47
FYI....I have found that going to a smaller pulley on my 1984 to increase the RPM of the Alt was beneficial. I have a powermaster, and it seemed to do OK at the factory RPM but once I put on the smaller pulley it did GREAT.
Thanks for the INFO Dmax...always looking for known good outlets for electrical stuff. Rather give my $ to a small shop than otherwise.