PDA

View Full Version : Replacement parts for turbo

Vin82k3500
05-12-2012, 07:35
Can you buy replacement parts for a gm-8 turbo or do you have to replace the turbo my gm-8 was not boosting well when I tore it abart I found out why the wastegate was actually broken off inside can i get parts to fix this or do I have to do the inevitable the turbo does not have any leaking seals and there is no play in the center section I hate to toss it and buy a replacement if I can fix it?

Robyn
05-12-2012, 11:23
If you remove the back half so that you can gain access to the waste gate flap, you may be able to weld the flap back to the shaft.

ORRRRRRRRRRRR, you can possibly swap on another back half from another turbo.

Parts are not serviced seperately (Normally)

I have taken the turbos completely apart and cleaned them up and then reassembled them with good results.

The shaft is part of the turbine (hot side wheel) and the compressor (cold side wheel) comes off easily after removing the nut.

The seals are like little piston rings that have interlocking ends.

The bearings are a BRONZE bushing and have drain holes that allow the oil that is fed through under pressure from the top, to drain back to the crankcase.

The seals generally don't go away unless the turbo has ingested something and trashed itself, or been run out of oil.

Take the beast all apart and see what you can do.

Good luck
Missy

Vin82k3500
05-12-2012, 20:22
I took it apart last night the waste gate must have gone out the stacks if it was even there when I got it not a big deal I was wondering if I could buy it new but I guess not as for a used one good luck with that around here I will just run it with out a turbo for now and keep my eyes on ebay thanks.

racer55
05-21-2012, 10:12
Better have an EGT gauge if you plan to run with no boost,if it over fuels you could melt it down in short order.

More Power
05-21-2012, 12:36
The wastegate mechanism is part of the exhaust housing on the GM-8 turbo. The mechanism is part of the turbo center section on the earlier versions of that turbo (i.e. GM-4). So, you could just repair or replace the exhaust housing. My guess is that most shops that repair these turbos will have the parts to do either. www.usdieselparts.com (http://www.usdieselparts.com) does this sort of work.

Jim